1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax MPG?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowfever, Jan 18, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Ok guys I got a F350 ext cab short bed w/ 6.0. I am only getting like 12-14 out of mine when I'm not pulling anything and keeping my foot out of it. So here is my question. I'm looking into upgrading to a 07-09 2500hd duramax but wondered what you guys were getting mileage wise. I will probably only put exhaust and cold air on it so pretty much stock. I pull a 23' landscape trailer in the summer and plow in the winter. How has your dmax held up? Just wondering if I should trade up.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am in the same boat right now. According to the guys I have been talking to just a intake and muffler delete it wont really increase the mpgs. You need a chip. I have 285 bfgs on my truck and it is stock right now. With the plows on the truck running around town I am averaging 13. I would like to be somewhere around 16 to 18.

3. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

When I'm pulling a trailer in the summer I only get like 10.5 and all I'm pulling is 2 ztr and 1 walk behind. I used to have a 97 250 7.3 and I got 14-16 out of it no matter what I did. This truck has been such a disappointment. I thought about getting a chip but with all the problems the 6.0 have I'm afraid all it will do is cost me more in the long run. I have heard that if you keep them pretty much stock they will be ok but as soon as you put a chip in them they start blowing heads and numerous other things.

4. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

the duramax seems too avg 14 to 15 by the dash computer on long highway trips if you do the math(miles divided by gallons) i have gotten as high as 18.8 that is a 2011 cclb ltz 3500hd with a roll up tonneau cover bone stock remember hard too change the exhaust completely the 2007 and newer have the new particulate filter system. and as far as a chip/programmer general motors is coming down hard on these if they find a program your warranty is done

5. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

I have a 2008 ccsb 4x4 duramax. I avg 17mpg. Towing my 12k# tool trailer I get 10-12mpg and on highway runs empty I get 20-22mpg. The truck is not stock. I have a 4" turbo back exhaust with no muffler and I have an edge tuner. I have the tuner on level 2 (60hp) I did this mod at 50k miles and have had zero issues and I am now at 80k. The truck is night and day with the exhaust and tuner, not just power wise but mpg. The money I have into the extras has payed for itself over and over again by the fuel economy gain. Check thedieselplacedotcom for more infoThumbs Up

6. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

I have two duramax's, a 2002-LB7 with an AFE intake, 4" exhaust, around town mileage 15-17, highway about 20 mpg, I don't tow with it, it has a custom tuned ecm from ridge runner diesel which lets me switch between 5 different tunes on the fly.

I also have a 2007-LBZ, just an exhaust and custom tuned 5 position ecm from ridge runner diesel and that will get 10-12 loaded with the sander full and plowing, 16-18 mpg around town loaded down with 500-750 lbs of tools and materials and will get 21-23 mpg on the highway on a long trip as it has a 6th gear OD and the 2002 only has a 5th gear OD.

No problems with either truck other than normal maintenance items like brakes, shocks, serpentine belt, etc.

Both have been trouble free including injectors on the 2002 are all original and still fine.

:cool:

7. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i have an 06 ext cab DMAX that has a 5" straight pipe exhaust, raptor 100 fuel air seperator, edge evo race CTS, and an EGR block. i dont do very much towing but i get about 16-17 in town and last year we got 21 MPG down and back to the outer banks from ohio. mine has 110,000 miles on it and im getting ready to buy a plow in 3 months. ive had no problems and feel very confident putting a plow on it.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

9. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

that is the tuner i have but i have the full CTS. it is awesome all around tuner. you can do so much with it. BTW you hit the nail on the head with the S&B. any diesel engine with pull air so hard that it pulls the oil off the those filters and screws the MAF like you said. plus i think the S&B is cheaper than any oiled filter kit.