1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax LMM fuel filter problem!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SullivanSeptic, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have a 2500HD with a Duramax LMM (new body style). Just had the fuel filter changed two weeks ago and the truck went into limp mode say "reduced power". Had to have the fuel filter changed again. Dealer says it was clogged up. Dealer also says that he has had a lot of the same trucks in for the same thing. Some people are going through a couple of filters every month. Does anyone else have this problem with their Duramax LMM motors.
  2. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

You can also go to dieselplace.com for more info.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 of them and they both have about 10 k on them and the filters are original but I really should have changed them by now.
  4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I would think it is a diesel issue.... Make sure your getting your fuel at a place that "moves" diesel this time of year. You don't want stuff that's been sitting.
  5. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

are you using like bio-diesel. a guy in autozone says he has to change his fuel filter every 4k miles! cause of the bio diesel. i guess hes a big rig tech so i would assume he knew what he was talkin about.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What already was said is true--your problem is not with your Dmax or filter,it is definitely some bad fuel you're getting.I change the filter at 10--15K miles for peace of mind and always carry a spare with me.It only takes one bad fill-up to ruin your day.
  7. SullivanSeptic

i buy my fuel from a whole saler. They have their own pumps that I pull up to fill up at. They sell A LOT of fuel every day. They fill their tanks every other day. The dealer says diesel fuel in Illinois is the worst in the country. I hope the additive works.
  8. SullivanSeptic

also, the new duramax is very sensative. so the dealer says
  9. dane1985

dane1985 Junior Member

I have been having the same problem with my 06 lbz engine. I go through filters a lot and it doesnt seem to matter where I get my fuel. All of the fuel around here is between 5 and 20 percent biodiesel blend. So it freezes up all the time and completely ruins the filter.