1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax Legal or Not?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GreatWhiteNorth, Jan 27, 2009.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

I am researching a new or new used truck purchase. The front axle rating of the 2500 GM D-max is 2130kg. approx. When weighed, the truck and motor is 2000kg. on the front axle only. This leaves only 130kgs. for plow weight. Soooooo how the heck can you mount a plow to a 2500 D-max and not get tagged by DOT or traffic services. From what I have researched, the Ford 250 is in much the same boat. Can the D-max be ordered with a BEEEEEFIER front axle. Or am I doomed for a gas job. DOT says what is on the door is law, timbrens installed or not. Any info you have is much appreciated. Thanks. Great White North.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:cool:tymusicIve read some the threads that come out of the States and that seems to be a concern there. Is your DOT checking out plow trucks in your province. Been plowing since 83 the DOT is based right in our town and never had trucks pulled over. But agaqin it location location location

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

your weighed weight is a bit off.. when i weighed myn i had 700 lbs. left to go before i was over weight..... well i went wayyy over... to the tune of 1020 lbs... but your right, you are limited to what type of plow you can "legally" run... but its alot more then 130KG thats fursure

4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

What sort of fine do they nail you with for being over?

5. GreatWhiteNorth

Axle overload. Same thing truckers get tagged for if they are to heavy. They will also not let you drive away without removing plow.tymusic

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OK people, I know you are all going to dispute me on this, but I am right. You will get a ticket if you are over what your vehicle is REGISTERED for. Not what it says on the door, unless that is was it is registered for. If you want to pay extra, you can register the vehicle in a higher weight class, and run plenty higher than what the door says.

If you don't believe me, go onto a truck forum and find out for yourself. There are guys with 3500 dually's towing at 30,000 lbs and more, legally.

7. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

In your research I guess the 6.0 L is alot lighter than the D-max allowing installing a plow and still underweight!

In all the years of plowing I have never heard from fellow plowers that the ministry ever pulled them over or any plow truck. I have been pulled over by the police for snow on my license plate!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  8. JDiepstra

Also, the Chevy does not even have a front axle. It is an IFS, which is why it can not hold much weight.

It is my understanding the Ford can hold the most, the Dodge is in the middle, severly weighed down by the Cummins, and the Chevy is following along with it's nose dragging on the ground.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It can, it's just not suggested by GM to do so. My front "axle" weighs 5,640 with the plow up. Been doing it for years.

And they do have front axles, just no front springs ;)

10. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'd like to hear just one person post that they had been ticketed for this. Not "I heard from my uncle's ex-wife's daughter that her highschool boyfriend might have got a ticket in 1945 for this.." I'm talking you personally having firsthand knowledge of a no-kidding ticket written to a snow plow driver with a pickup truck because he exceeded the front axle rating. I'll be very surprised if anybody can answer this challenge!

The more ballast you put as far back as possible, the more the front axle unweights. Think of a super heavy bumper-hitched trailer causing the nose to point up. Same concept. You probably won't be able to remove all extra weight from the plow, but you can make a big difference. Hanging a block of concrete off the trailer hitch would do the most good because of the long leverage arm. Placing the same block of concrete directly above the rear axle wouldn't help you at all.

As others have said, you aren't likely to get pulled over and weighed in the first place so it's more of a warranty coverage issue than trouble with cops.

11. JDiepstra

LOL thanks for taking me to school! :dizzy:

12. GreatWhiteNorth

They seem to be targeting the diesels around winnipeg. Every one (Quad Cab) they have stopped is over on frt axle says one of the officers. ie. Dodge with cummins has 220kg of available frt axle load but 5.8l hemi in same truck has 600 kgs of available frt axle load.In short the diesel with say a 7'6" straight blade would be over load but the gas job would be legal.

13. GreatWhiteNorth

The cummins is actually lighter than the powerstroke. I have taken each over the provincial scales in the last 2 days. Ford diesel does definately have the most available of the diesels if it is equipped with the 2500 kg frt axle. GM rep told me they do not support plows on the diesel but there is a package available on the 6.0l gas.

14. JDiepstra

The Cummins far outweighs the Powerstroke. It is the Ford, that outweighs the Dodge. Huge difference.

15. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

ok to clear something up you can only carry legally what the door stick says. You cant just go to the dmv and increase it. Sure they will take your money but when you get stopped by the DOT the door sticker is what they go by. Trust me I have been stopped and ticked. When i told the DOT inspector i registered it for more weight he told me the sticker is what they go by.

16. JDiepstra

Then you go to court and get it thrown out. DOT is not GOD.

17. kakygp

kakygp Junior Member
    from Indiana

My truck and plow weighed 8668 with me in the truck yesterday under 9200, I have never heard of a weight rating on the front that the DOT would care about. The 4500 is just from GM and nowhere does my truck say a thing about front axle weight just 9200 GVW.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

GM's can hold weight fine. Throw on a set of timbrens and crank up the torsion bars some and your good to go. It's the guys that don't know better or just don't care that you see driving around with their truck nose dived with the bumper/mount 4-5" off the ground. The way my truck is, it drops approx 1/2" when I pick my blade up.

x2. I think the cummins is around 1000lbs, the 6L stroker I'm going to guess is under 800.

19. JDiepstra

You always have good posts Mark13.

A lot of people say it is hard on other parts to crank up the Tbars. Changes angles of things, wears tires uneven.... I don't really know.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It certainly doesn't make life better for stuff. It's probably harder on stuff (cv shafts mostly, increased angles on the joints) in the long run, especially if you leave them cranked up all year. I crank mine up before winter and whenever I get around to it after no more snow will fall. I've noticed no increased wear on parts from doing this, however the ride gets much worse. Also is sometimes causes your truck to sit front end high (cali to some guys), and it looks like the back of your truck is always sagging. Mine sits like that without my plow and salter/salt, but when loaded and the plow on the truck will sit pretty much level.

As far as plowing with a dmax and being over the front "axle" weight rating, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure I'm over the rating by a considerable amount on my 1/2ton and it still works fine. If someone is afraid it's going to wreck something, I don't blame them, truck's arn't cheap but it wouldn't stop me from plowing with one. I'd like to get a dmax and I can guarantee you the front "axle" weight rating won't stop me, I'll just have to put the plow on myself instead of the dealer doing it. That may sound childish or stupid, but I bet all of us have overloaded the bed of our trucks considerably above what the rear axle weight rating and/or gvwr is, and guess what, I bet 99.9% of the time, everything still worked perfect afterwards.