1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax High Idle How to with video.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Triple L, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

I just go through the steering wheel options but this is even easier. TY

3. Triple L

from Canada

For trucks without the steering wheel controls this is the only way...

4. Triple L

from Canada

I received a pm, no you don't have to do this everytime you start the truck, you set it and forget it... It will only high idle when its below freezing and until it gets up to operating temp. Then it kicks back into normal idle

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have been meaning to do this to my truck just haven't gotten around to it. The high idle is nice.

6. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

I am subscribed to your youtube channel and saw the vid today. I just told my brother to do it on his LLY and it worked. He's happy now. Thumbs Up

7. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Gotta try this in the morning on my LB7. Thumbs Up

8. wolfmobile8

you won't be able to. The lb7 is the only one without the high idle already in it from the factory. But you can put in an high idel aftermarket like mine does it runs off the crusie control.

9. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. wolfmobile8

11. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

12. wolfmobile8

13. Triple L

from Canada

14. wolfmobile8

Hey Triple L my brother wants to know if it's ok if he can leave the high idle mode on all the time on his LLY or not.

15. Triple L

from Canada

I've never turned myn off... It only kicks in when its below freezing and as soon as the motor is warm it kicks out... Its intended to help warm things up more quickly...

16. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Yeah that dawned on me after getting some real sleep the other night!

really like this feature. :)

17. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I like it when it kicks up on it's own when i'm not even in the truck. Gets some strange looks from folks sometimes haha

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice video I saw that the other day and left a comment on it if it needed to be done everytime. The next morning i did it to mine and havent changed it since and its been kicking in thanks so much I am glad I caught the video on youtube while I was on there the other day

19. Triple L

from Canada

Haha ya, the I've gotten a few looks myself if you just jump in and run around the corner to the bank or something and let it run... I'm glad u guys like the feature as much as I do!!!

20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just to clear it up...

On the pre 04.5 LB7 you can only have high idle (either controlled threw the factory cruise, a set of switches, or a factory PTO switch.)

You can install High Ilde that is a PTO command more than an engine warm up item. High Idle will not change all of the tables that are changed in Elevated Idle tuning. (fuel injection timing, fuel enjection rate, and turbo charger vanes being commanded closed)

What you are speaking of is on 04.5 LLY on up to current you have the option of turning on Elevated Idle (commanded within the ECM tuning}

When the procedure is followed the engine idle speed will slowly increased to the calibrated elevated idle speed. This is 1,200 RPM for light duty, and 1,500 RPM for medium duty trucks.

For Elevated Idle to be commanded by the ECM, the conditions must meet the following:

• The engine has been idling for more than 30 seconds.
    • The transmission is placed in Park or Neutral.
    • The vehicle speed is 0 km/h (0 mph).
    • The ambient air temperature is less than 3°C (37°F).
    • The ECT is less than 68°C (154°F).
    • The brake, clutch and throttle pedals are not depressed.

The idle speed will return to normal if any of the following conditions occur:

• There is brake, clutch, or throttle input from the driver.
    • The automatic transmission is shifted out of Park or Neutral.
    • The air temperature is more than 7°C (45°F).
    • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 68°C (154°F).
    • The vehicle speed exceeds 0 km/h (0 mph).

Of course with ECM tuning software, you can change many of these paramaters to make the elevated idle come on any time you throw the truck in park if you so please.