1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

duramax heads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lorentzlawnsnow, Oct 17, 2005.

1. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

anyone have any trouble with cracking the aluminum heads they put on those duramax's? my cousin is a deisel mechanic, and in his shop they call them duracrax, because the aluminum just won't hold up to the heat.
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

LOL Nope....they wont hold up. I've had my 1600 degree pyro burried in the red numerous times every day I drove it......sprayed enough N2O into my motor that most gasser guys look at me like I'm from mars when I tell em the amount, beat on it with 0 problems for 55k miles. Totaly junk :rolleyes: I dont know how many HP I put out.....I suppose you could go by the MPH calculators and figure a 11.75 et at close to 116 MPH in a 6600# truck would put me over 700 HP to the rear wheels. I shoulda bought a 6.0 ford with thier cast iron heads and 1/2 the head bolts.....they would hold up way better I'm sure :rolleyes:
  3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I know someone with a Duramax and he hasn't had any problems. As a matter of fact, I think he knew of one person who had a problem with the engine. That is one out of thousands. (Injectors are another issue altogether.)
    My friend was only in the 12's. He had a dyno sheet of it, but I don't remember the numbers.
  4. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I have a 2002 duramax with 73000 miles and didn't do the first thing to it other then filter and oil changes and 1 new set of tires. The original brakes yet. Brakes look over 50% left yet with no warped rotors. I also pull my gooseneck weighing 20000# in the mountains for work a few days a year. These trucks and motors& trannys are great!!:D