1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax Fuel Filter Servicing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jakedaawg, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

'06 Chevy CrewCab Duramax/allison 4X4

Background: I am a marine mechanic. I am former state and a few ASE certs auto mechanic. I have very little diesel experience. I do understand the theory and a basic understanding of the old style small diesel engines and injector pumps.

I would like to be able to change the fuel filter myself. How tricky is it? I am assuming that there are tricks so that you dont have to bleed the whole injection system. I have been paying to have it done do to lack of time and a general hesitation to screw it up.

Does anyone know of a good online "how-to". I really dont want to purchase a factory service manual.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Stupid simple. They have a plunger on the housing to prime it. Sometimes you don't need to do that just cycle the key to run a few times

For really stubborn filters I take out the pass fender wheel to get a strap wrench on it.

3. Sock-em

Sock-em Junior Member
    from 48356

Changing filter

Just make sure you fill the new filter before installing,and you should not have to prime. I did my 2006 and she fired right up.Then I had to figure out how to reset filter life . That's where Google comes in.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I've never filled one.

5. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks guys. Ill give it a try. i like things that are "stupid simple", fits my personality.

6. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You dont prefill the filter with fuel on a Duramax use the plunger on the filter housing to prime

7. Sock-em

Sock-em Junior Member
    from 48356

I stand corrected

Learn something new everyday. Thanks guys. Hey jake on a different note, I'm assuming those are plow sizes listed on your 2500 hds. I was told by A couple of different installers ,that they will not install anything larger than a 7.5' plow on my 2006 ,2500hd duramax because of front end weight issues. Have you had any suspension or other problems? Did you do any modifications ? I figured this truck could handle anything . Thanks

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I ran a 9'2" boss V on my 06 dmax ccsb. Couple turns on the t bars and timbrens- didn't sag and more than my current f350 with an 810.

9. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

What he said ^

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

You are not supposed to prefill filters on anything with a high-pressure system.

11. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I don't use the diesel for plowing. It hauls boats and trailers and the fifth wheel. It hauls my hydraulic boat trailer for pulling the really big boats. I think the front end is way to heavy to put any of my blades on and I don't want to tear it up. I also can't imagine plowing with a crew cab on my route. With the exception of one 4 acre commercial lot all my stuff is long twisty turney rural stuff. When you get a rig stuck it is "REALLY" stuck. I would hate to have to pop it out. It also doesn't seem to have the ground clearance that my gassers have. It doesn't have the plow package, tow package only.

In the event of a really big storm, 30 + inches, I usually put someone in the diesel to act as the "pull-out" guy for the gas 2500's I run. Works pretty good cause when we get that snow it is wet, heavy and usually blown and drifted really really deep. We get alot of snow here at times with the lake effect and what not.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I have a tool from snap on for the sensor. You can use channel locks but be gentle

13. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Oh, is there a sensor attached to the filter? Do you have a snap-on part number? I will pick one up on wednesday when he stops in.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It's on the bottom. I looked on website I only saw a socket. I have the socket but prefer the wrench most of the time. I'll post part number when I get to work in the morning.

15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

You are missing out. :D

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

My wrench is actually lisle. I brought it off snapon truck didn't have a part number on it

17. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks Whiffy, Ill ask my snappy guy.