1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax fuel filter issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mdwstsnow512, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

i did a search but found nothing, never do with that function.

what modifications have you guys done to help eliminate the Fuel filter gelling issues.

i have seen the shim kits, lift pumps, fuel rail mods.

just wondering what is the most economical and effective.
    i am not looking to add power or chip, im happy with how it is but dont want to be stranded with my brand new truck while plowing.

alot of this has to do with the quality of fuel, but i cant always control that.

thanks
    Nate

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've NEVER had a gelling issue with a Dmax. Others, yes, but never a Dmax. All of the mods you mentioned are for fuel delivery and are performance related.

3. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

I always run a can of diesel kleen in every other fill up. It helps keep everything flowing good.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Dieselplace.com!

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And just an FYI, Dmaxes have a heating element in the filter housing.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Winter blend fuel? Howes or Power Service?

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Mdwstsnow-----I've run Howe's Lubricator,Schaeffers,and Power Service in all my Dmax's over the years,never had gelling.Just make sure with EVERY fill-up you put some in the tank.Like someone mentioned,you have a heated filter head so most likely there will be no issues when driving,it's the sitting overnite in the cold that usually brings on gelling.As added precaution,get a bottle of 911 just in case you should gel along with a spare filter and tools.

8. 05RedLLY

05RedLLY Junior Member
    from Iowa

Just change filter and put additives in like the others said. It definetly has to be where you are getting your fuel because even though this is the first year I will plow with my Duramax, I have driven it in some of Iowa's coldest days and left it parked outside and I have never had a gel problem.

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Banks 6 Gun Power PDA in my Duramax and if it throws a code for fuel filter I can erase it and then I know the filter needs to be changed. Otherwise, put the truck in a heated garage for a night and let it thaw out and your good to go. Never have had any problems with it actually gelling and wont run.

10. Mdwstsnow512

i guess maybe i misspoke,
    i am not 100% sure it is a gelling issue, i know others are dealing with this.

it is when the truck goes into limp mode.
    i believe this is because of the microns of the filter and it plugging resulting in low fuel pressure up front on the rail.

i have had this happen multiple times within 10,000 miles and i know others that have as well - runnin Howes in all the time.

im worried about this happening and the truck going into Limp mode while plowing, thus leaving me stranded or having to rip a fender out to change a kinda expensive filter. not to mention getting covered in diesel and most importantly, the down time.

im looking for a alternative to prevent this

thanks
    Nate

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When did you last change the filter?

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

To make life simple we just change fuel filters every fall in every vehicle we own, regardless of miles. It's cheap insurance. We also put fuel conditioner in our bulk tanks year round for lubricisity and to help with gelling.

13. Mdwstsnow512

normally i change them every other oil change
    i have had this truck for a little over a year, last year i had no plow on it but had issues anyway.
    now i put a plow on it and am worried about the problems i had last year

14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Since your running a additive, your probably cleaning out the tank and the filter is catching all the crap. Your prolly gonna have to change them out more often than usual.

15. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

How often in miles do you do your oil changes?You should be changing that fuel filter every 10-12K miles or before plow season starts.Have others that buy fuel where you're buying it have issues?Lastly,when this happens,going into limp mode,I'm assuming it's very cold out,but anyway,just to rule out something else,why not put your engine on a scanner?

18. Mdwstsnow512

5k oil changes, always do a pre-season change.

i have 5 other trucks, no other issues. - all them are fords
    its a LMM but i know other LLY(?) the model before mine to have same issue.

one guy i know drove home 500 miles in limp mode.

no codes after fuel filter is changed., only when it goes into limp mode
    truck has like 20k on it. with no mods.
    it isnt a truck issue as much as it is a filter issue.
    i know guys that have installed additional prefilters and lift pumps, but they are costly and i am looking for a inexpensive alternative.

thanks
    Nate

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No issues with the Fords? They are notorius for gelled filters.

20. Mdwstsnow512

nope,
    they are all older tho - 7.3s

o and this has happened in warmer weather, but not to me. it did happen to me when it was like 35 out

thanks