1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

duramax diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by phillyplowking1, May 1, 2003.

1. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I might be buying a 2001 chevy ext cab dually 4x4 with a blizzard 810. A friend of mine wants $24000 for it.It has the duramax diesel and allison trans .How good is this engine?Has anyone had any trouble with the engine or trans?Is the engine has good as my powerstroke? Any replys would be a help.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not a bad setup.They had some problems with the engines,but most have been worked out now.There were also some Allison problems,but I think they are being solved as well.

I wouldn't hesistate to buy one,but an extended warranty might help cover you if you start getting into big problems.These newer trucks can be expensive to fix.

I would say it's as good as your Powerstroke,but if you want a real diesel,get a Cummins ;)

You might want to stick with Fords,and Meyers,as it seems to be mostly what you have now,so parts and repairs would be fairly common.

3. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

If 2001 was the first production year of the D-Max/Allison then you may have a couple of problems. If my memory serves me correctly the Allison had a few problems during it's first year or two. One example I know of is torque converter drain back. Overall,that engine/trans combo has proven to be a strong marriage. so it should give you years of service.

However, I do have to agree with Wyldman when it comes to the Cummins, Its a sweet engine :D :D .

Last edited: May 2, 2003
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It sounds like a fair deal.As long as your friend performed maintance regularly,I dont think the D/A combo is any more likely to have problems than a Ford or Dodge overall. I have 4 dmaxes in my family,none of them have had any issues to speak of,they have been good trucks.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

ive got about 35,000 miles on my 2002 duramax right now, and not really any problems to this date. I love the truck and tows awesome. I even have some pretty hard miles on it after i suped it up with exhaust, intake and computer upgrades:D .

6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I had an injector go bad on my '02, but I still like it.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My friend had a mismatch of the fuel pump in his '01, it has since been fixed. It caused a severe idle surge, you might check to see if this is a problem with that truck or if it may have been fixed.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My buddy was driving a 1500 with dealer plates today, I asked about it. His truck is back in the shop, this time for injectors and an airbox.

He says the trucks that were in the first 3 months of production have a lot of problems, check to see the build date on the one you're looking at.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

One of our good friends bought one of the first 01's out in early december of 2000.The truck has 75K on it,all hard miles.So far the 4wd swtich went out about 2 yrs ago,and that has been it.The truck has had the Edge juice on it for over a year now also.I think its luck of the draw.