1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax Diesel Plow Trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnoPro Inc, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Hey guys, I'd like to buy a duramax sometime soon and then put a plow on it. Comments, concerns and post pictures PLEASE. Thanks! :nod:
  2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

What do you want to know? I know that mine is a beast in the snow. Everyone is gonna say that the front end is overweight with the duramax and a plow, but the truck handles it fine. I have pics of mine in my profile if you want to see.
  3. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

I'd just like to know how the front end holds up, if the ball joints need to be replaced quite often, if I'd need an alignment every month haha, I LOVE the Duramax Allison combo, I just dont know if I should get a good SuperDuty for plowing? It would be in a year or so, I just like planning ahead.
  4. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

The front end hold up fine for a dmax just add timbrens in the front and your all good to go or even a leveling kit would be good. I have a 6.0 Silverado 2500HD I thought i was gonna put timbrens but the ruck holds up just fine without timbrens it only drops a little over an inch. Plus my plow is heavy for an 8 foot its 800LBS.
  5. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

If your buying new. The new silverados have heavier front ends to handle the weight of big plows. Deffinitely a good move on GM's part. I had an 05 GMC Duramax with a 8 ft fisher with wings on it. Had almost 200,000 on it with the original balljoints. Replaced a few tierod ends though. Other than that it was good. My 05 Silverado duramax had a 8ft Western pro on it and It never needed any front end parts.
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm on my 6th Dmax plow truck. Mostly crew and ex cabs running MVP's. If you're worried about the front end, then I highly suggest not buying a Ford. They go through front end parts 2-3x more than GM's. I have Fords too. They are tanks, but don't think b/c they are a higher rated GWV that they are bulletproof. From brakes to ball joints, etc....and often.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Here's a pic of 3 of them:

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

40K miles on my Duramax, plowed with it and never have any issues. Only complaint is its really low geared in reverse. But I dont really care, love the Duramax. And havent ever replaced anything on the front end.
  9. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Sounds like Duramax is the way to go. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. If anyone else has pictures I'd love to see them, and throughout the year.
  10. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Got-H2o I like yours. I like the LLY or LBZ in the middle, leveling kit and 33's on it or whats done? nice stance
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks! Actually believe it or not its a 2wd. 3" spindles but bars lowered back down. 315's in that pic. I actually changed to 17" chrome H2's and 35's.

The first truck is now lifted 6" on 35's

All of the trucks in that pic have 200k miles plus. The 01 is close to 260k and was a plow truck since new. ;)
  12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Check out my garage too, there are a couple pics in there. Any questions, just ask
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 9-2 Boss on my 06' LBZ 3500 SRW.I tweaked the torsion bars 4 turns,put in Airlift bumpers in the front,Airlift airbags in the rear,pushes snow like no tomorrow with 1/2 the fuel I used before with an old 88 V30 dump with the same plow.The truck now has 105K miles,all original front end parts,I replaced the pads at app. 90K miles only because I had some score marks in the rotors[and pads].They were at app.75% wear left.Go for it.
  14. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

15. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Awesome Tuney! I think thats what i'd do also, well good to hear all the good comments, makes me eel good about it. And everyone knows, Duramax is king, its a race horse and work horse.
    EFI Live and 5in MBRp exhaust would be first "to-do's" on my list :)
  16. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Duramax stands alone imho. A decade of outstanding performance! My 2008 is stock & staying that way!
  17. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

I guess if it aint broke dont fix it right?! lol I love to go fast and blow smoke though.
  18. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

I love my duramax, just had it aligned at 100k, original ball joints and tie rods are good, but it has never plowed, and never will. If it was a shorter truck I would have put a plow on it instead of getting an older truck, but a CCLB is just too long for me to plow with.

I know a couple guys that have them and plow with them. The only problems they have had are tie rods, even though people say the plow is too much weight for the IFS front end. They are happier with the Duramax than they were with their fords and dodges because they were replacing ball joints after every season, and they said the duramax just pushes better than the cummins or powerjoke.

I thought my old 6.5td pushed great and the duramax would only be better. Kind of a back step going to an older truck with a 350, but we'll see how it does this winter. I only do a couple of driveways, and don't get paid for it anyway.
  19. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Love my Duramax, like said earlier, a decade of the same engine design, you cant go wrong, esp. paired with the alli. Fords at the 4th design (looking like they got it right this time around), dodge... well, do i need to say more
  20. 5280TOM

5280TOM Junior Member

Got the Duramax....I LOVE IT....best damn plow truck ever. 6" lift with 37s stuffed under there. Runing the Boss V with wings and its a beast. Over 150k miles and have not replaced anything on the front end! You will never and I mean never go back to different truck. I am spoiled and so are the lots I plow, I think they like it better with the Duramax too!!!! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!!