1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

duramax/allison maintenance

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by albertaplowman, Oct 9, 2007.

1. albertaplowman

albertaplowman Junior Member

I have a 05 Duramax and i am looking at doing more of my own maintenance. I got a pretty good handle on the fuel filter replacement, but what filter do you guys buy. Do you buy an aftermarket or GM? Also, allison transmission service. Do you guys replace the external filter? Is this easy to do? What brand of filter do you use? Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Kent

2. santelikk

santelikk Member

Regular maintenance should inclued:
    Change front and rear diff

External Tranny filter every 25k some do more often, there is a magnet on this make sure to clean off and put on new filter.
    Just screw off old filter and put new one on (doesn't make a big mess) maybe put some new fluid in the new filter and screw back on.

Grease all 11 zerks.

Of course oil change and filter.

I prefer all Delco products if I can't get that then Wix.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 what santelikk said.

I use what ever fuel filter I can get the cheapest. I change mine often though. I will change mine at least twice a year.

For trans filter. I use the Allision filter. You can get them online, or through you Allision dealer cost about 9-11 dollars. I change that at the start of plowing snow and the end.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Always try to use the genuine Allison filters whenever possible but don't go to your GM dealer for them..I just bought 2 yesterday... they're up to $27 each now!:eek:

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most semi dealers will carry the allison spin on for alot less $ then GM. Changing it once a year is plenty. IMO

6. Philbilly2

Whaaaaaa?

JD's got it, I buy them buy the case at a semi dealership south of me for $8.90 a piece, then, all my buddies around here with the Alli's, I sell them one for a little more. I had no idea that they went up that much, wow.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Neither did the parts guy....he was shocked too! The last ones I had bought there just a month ago were $6.90! Talk about a price increase.:eek: Guess I'll be buying them from the local Freightliner dealer next time, they handle Allison..

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Make sure if you get the GM fuel filters get the newer part that is dual pleat and is much better. (TP1298A, changed to TP1298B) Lots of the older trucks have had premature fuel injector failures. I also use a CAT 2 micron pre-filter as a extra protection. Nictane makes a kit for the Duramax with all the fittings and I personally installed on two trucks, one LB7 and one LLY the pickup on the tank is the only deference.
    FYI keep and eye on transfer case for leaks, they are know for a pin hole develping from the inside out from the pump rubbing.

Check out dieselplace dot com for some great tips on your truck.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  9. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

Yep the good old t-case pump rub.I run the oem/allison filter and baldwin for oil and fuel. havent had any issue with the last 3 dmax,s... transynd in t-case and tranny then mobil delvac1 5-40 synthetic in the engine.

10. Philbilly2

I must just be lucky B&B, bought four of them yesterday at a Allision Dealer and only paid 8.73EA.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, much cheaper at the Allison dealer! GM's prices used to be comparable with the Allision dealer... but not not anymore.