1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax/Allison. anyone else having problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtwork, Feb 26, 2005.

1. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

I own a 2001 Chevy Duramax with the Allison transmission. In the past year i have replaced the park/nuetral switch 2 times at $600 each time not covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any kind of aftermarket part to replace Chevy's inferior switch?

2. JCKL

JCKL Junior Member

Its a $45 part from an Allison dealer and what color is your NSBU switch? There is 2 different ones. Older switch is black and the updated part is tan in color. And i haven't had a problem with mine on my 04 Dmax/Allison.

3. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

If you are talking about the switch on the tranny. I believe that I saw on the diesel place that it was covered under the emissions warranty till 100K. Might want to check it out, I am positive I read that over there not sure why emissions but who cares if it is covered!!! :yow!:

4. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the replies. I am currently writing a letter to GM. MY dealer said it was only covered during the entire vehicle coverage which is under 30,000 miles. Looking back on at my receipts alot of what i was charged for were software updates. I am gonna have a talk with my dealer about why i would need 2 software updates in a year!!I love the allison transmission, but i dont understand why Chevy would put such a junky switch on a good transmission.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like you are being ripped off man. Just my opinion but sounds to me like you are. 2 Switch's? Why was not the 1st one they replaced under warranty? Get in touch with GM direct and ask what the hell is going on.

6. CJC

CJC Junior Member

I thought GM had a program where if you paid for a repair once, you would not have to pay for the same repair again as long as you owned the vehicle. Maybe they stopped this, but I'm sure they had it as recently as 2 years ago. If this this program is still running, you should not have had to pay for the second repair.

You can find a lot of information on the switch problems at the various diesel forums such as gm-diesel.com, thedieselpage.com, and thedieselplace.com. Also check gmtechlink.com for factory information on various problems. They have some really interesting information here, and archives going back several years.

7. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

I just spoke to somebody around me that plows. He said that is 04 Duramax was great for about 25,000 miles and then started loosing power. 23 days in the shop and $4100 worth of injectors later (warranty) he got it back. Now at about 40,000 miles it is weak again.

For someone like me who has a small business where if I have 3 trucks, having a spare is a major expense. I would expect that a $50,000 K truck (Canadian) would be reliable.

8. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I purchased a new 03 2500hd 4x4 with the duramax/allison combo in July of 03. It now only has 19,000 miles on it. I pull a 18 foot equipment trailer with all of my lawn equipment on it, and also a 28 foot travel trailer, and have not had one single problem with it. I could not ask for anything more. No problems at all to this date...