1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax 06-07 LBZ

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Moss Man, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have it cemented into my mind that I want to upgrade from the 2005 6.0 gas GM truck I have now to a similar truck with a Duramax. After some extensive research the 06-07's with the LBZ motor seem to be the wise choice. I can't afford anything much newer than that anyway. I'm also quite sure I want to step up from the regular cab to the extended cab, momma and I have taken pretty heavily to going to auctions and garage sales ya know.

Other than the LBZ, what would be the next best choice if I can't find one?

Living in the rust belt of Maine, would I be better served getting a southern truck or maybe a western one? Where I'm looking for trucks that will be 5-6 years old, I wouldn't mind starting out rust free.

I'd like to stick with the 3500 series, but I rarely see any with the Duramax and the extended cab? I suppose the 2500HD trucks are nearly identical to the 3500 SRW anyhow.

Another issue is liquidating the rig I have now. It's in damn good shape and has been problem free, but it's got 295,000 on the ticker. It really has no rust to speak of, runs like a top, cleans up real perty and is the 3500 version with SRW's. I picture some young wippersnapper buying it for it's looks and not worrying much about the miles.

I just got the EZ V all mounted for this winter, so I'll probably make the move in April of this coming spring. Perhaps fly out to Arizona and drive me home a Duramax.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

You will have to look fairly hard to find a extended cab 3500, and they all come with the long bed before 2011. The LBZ is a good motor, LLY's are excellent. Check out www.rundechevrolet.com they are an awesome dealership and have alot of trucks go thru their lot and assist with shipping. Good Luck

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How is a lly better then the lbz?

4. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanx for the link. Looks like the 3500 is off the wish list, I don't like the overall length of the extended cabs with the long box.

I really should do some more homework and consider Dodge and Ford. I want to avoid the motors that were considered "problem years". Towing a firewood trailer and plowing are my two main businesses, the trailer can weigh up to 14,000 lbs loaded and I run a pretty heavy V Plow. Cost is a consideration, but I do have some wiggle room with that. It looks like a 2500HD with the diesel can tow up to 12,000 lbs. The GM front end really is a P.I.T.A. when it comes to a heavy plow, I'm tired of that problem.

5. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I wondered about that too, all the research I did pointed directly to the LBZ being the best choice hands down.

6. Triple L

from Canada

12K would be a walk thru the park for a duramax, 2500hd or 3500 dosent matter other then the 800 lbs gvwr between the 2... 3500srw that is...

There is no PITA with a gm front end, turn the torsiom bars up and be done with it... Atleast your not rebuilding it every other year for a couple grand like a solid front axle...

Nothing beats the allison trans

7. Triple L

from Canada

Exactly, I have an lly and with it was an lbz all the time... Got an lmm and kinda like that one except the fuel economy until warranty is up...

8. jkski

jkski Member

I own an 06 LBZ CrewCab Shortbed GMC with an 8.5' Meyer SV2 and love it. The LBZ is the most desired of the 2 available because it offers a little more HP and they had some reliability issues with the LLY, specifically the injectors.

The Dmax/Allison combo is great and your fuel mileage will be better than the 6.0 gas, but you do pay more diesel these days and when coupled with the increased cost of maintenance (oil change can be $100), your possible gains can turn into losses. If you buy the truck right you should be fine, but if you were purchasing new, the upcharge for a Dmax is around $8k-$10k....most people will never recover that.
    Hope this helps.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Mossman--I have a 2006 EC 3500 SRW with a 8' bed.I can't help it if you don't like the looks of a long bed but I can assure you that you would have trouble finding a better combo for both plowing and trailering as I do both.I have some serious azz weight from my Boss 9-2 er V plow,with my T bars cranked up 4 turns and with Air Ride bumpers, my truck handles it fine.Going from an old 88 V30 gas job[350],on the same 8 hr. plowing route,I use half the amount of fuel now and with lots of more serious azz power to boot.134K miles now on my LBZ,I swear it seems it runs better now than when new.I've had a LB7,LLY,and now my LBZ--all excellent but this LBZ is something else.Good luck shopping and don't forget to look at the heavy equipment auctions as sometimes there are some good trucks to be found there.

10. NoFearDeere

Tell you the truth, you wont find a bad Duramax motor. Whether its a LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, whatever. Yes the LB7's had injector issues but still good motors. As far as the front ends go, I put more money into Ford and Dodge front ends than I ever do in a GM. And I always overload the front ends.

11. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Wasn't the lbz the first to be paired with the 6 speed Allison?
    Or did the lly also have it.

12. Triple L

from Canada

lly has the 5 speed allison

13. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

First of all, best of luck in your search! I have an LBZ and really couldn't be happier. Paired with the 6sp Allison it is unstoppable. Take a look at Lenz truck center in WI, lenzauto.com. Thats where i got mine and they were really easy to deal with. Great selection of trucks and fair trade in prices. Not necessarily the cheapest, but good clean trucks for the money, so in my book it was a good value. I know they ship all over too if you wanted to go that route. My LBZ is a towing machine, its too big to do the plowing i need, but i will certainly be buying a shorter SRW DMAX to plow with in the near future, and I will be looking very hard to get another LBZ. No emissions junk, higher HP, no significant injector issues...pretty hard to beat in my book! Best of luck!

14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I don't understand why the LBZ is the best duramax. What is this based on? The best motor to turn into a drag truck. Who is doing that? People are buying them to work and all the duramax motors will do some serious work. The LB7 does have a known injector problem. But I think to many people that never had diesels before bought them. They never changed the fuel filter and I think that caused many of the injector problems. Just my opinion :)

Lenz Truck Center in WI is a big dealer in chevy 2500's. And they will ship.

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Improved,almost bulletproof injectors,improved head gaskets,more H.P.,more torque,better turbo,all coupled to now the new improved 6 speed Ally and all with minimal emission crap.That's basically why. As for your fuel filter assertion--complete nonsense--I for one have always changed my fuel filters every 12-15K miles and my injectors went South at app.30K miles.Even GM has admitted there wete serious flaws on the prototype.

16. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Can you tell me what flaw GM has admitted to? My dad has an LB7 with 160k with no injector problems. My 02 has not had the injectors changed at 176k. You can go on diesel place and find many LB7's with over 200k with original injectors.

17. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

All D-max's are good. Ive got a friend with an LB7 that doesnt have a glow plug relay, and it starts, not wonderful but it starts, when its down in the single digits like it has been here all week (damn clear skies). The thing that makes the LBZ look better is the 50 extra horse and the 6 speed. The 6 speed can be done for 2-3 grand in an older truck and EFILive can take care of that 50 horse. or 150 horse :D

18. NoFearDeere

Very true. My buddy has an 02 LB7 with 230K, all original. The injector issue in the LB7's is the only problems ive ever heard of with the Duramax. Truely awesome motors.

19. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

I have a 2002 lb7 duramax and it is an awesome truck/engine. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

20. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a friend with an 02 LB7 with a programmer of some kind and the thing is a bullet on wheels.

If I do find and purchase a stock LBZ in the spring, what the first no nonsense thing to add for performance?