1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dunn and Bradstreet

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cold_and_tired, Dec 14, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I got a call today from a D&B rep that wanted to sell me their service. Are they really as essential to helping a small business grow as they say they are?

$450 or so to start which is pretty steep for me since we haven't had any snow this season. Would it be money well spent?

I'm looking to establish and build my business credit and was wondering if this was the best way to do it.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never found them to be a usefull tool in my business. All good salesmen, and women make it sound like they are the best thing since sliced bread. You need to know your target clients, and know what your business can do. D & B ( and I don't mean Dave and Busters lol) are mainly for mid size and larger business's if I am not mistaken.

3. KevinACrider

KevinACrider Junior Member

Staples will give anyone with an EIN a credit card. Get one. That alone will do more for your business credit than your D&B rep can do.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

D&B is almost like legal extortion. If you go to finance equipment with a manufacturers finance program, using your corporation, they will almost always look at your dunn and bradstreet report. Every corporation has one even if you've never responded to their calls. Of course if you don't pay to play, they won't give you the best reference. Shortly after they will call and try to sell you a credit building "package" for $400 something dollars to improve your results. Its pretty insane if you ask me, and I refuse to ever buy anything from them.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

They have a canned speech they give to everyone--doesnt matter if you're a 1 horse show like me or a Fortune 500 company.You DO NOT NEED THEM!. Build your credit the old fashioned way--earn it. Get a credit card or 2,pay it meticulously on time and build a rapport with your suppliers,also of course paying when due.