1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dunlop Mud Rover tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Hey ya'll..... I might get new tires on my '89 F350 dually flatbed, especially if i decide to put a plow on it since it is not a 4x4. Budget is real tight. Dunlop Mud Rovers come highly recommended for general purpose mud grip and said to be very good in snow as well. anyone else using these and how do you like them? Best part about them is they are not really expensive. Also it would be nice to be able to get through mud and such easier because no one likes getting a 7500# truck stuck!!!
    $540 for 4 (back wheels only) including mount, balance, etc.

likes/dislikes about them???
    Thanks,
    Eric :waving: :cool:

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

You won't like them for your intended useage.

As you can see by the picture they have no sipeing(sp?) and the blocky thread won't do well on icy surfaces.

On my chevy for the summer/mud season I have a set of 33" BFG Mud Terrain tires which are kinda the same, big blocky tread pattern and once they touch a little ice they are done.

That is my experience and opinion about that type of tire for snow/icy conditions.
    I think you will regret it if you get them. An all-terrain is more of what you would rather for the conditions of snow/icy.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

i have to agree with bowtie guy.A good AT with some wieght in the back and u should be ok

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

a lot of people seem to like the BFG Commercial T/A traction. i have dueler A/t revo's on my jeep and i love em. just gotta try different ones. i get a different tire everytime i buy new ones.

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

what is siping on a tire? i've heard the term but never know what it means.

everyone else i've talked to seems to think the Mud Rover is great in snow... on ice i don't think anything except studded tires or chains would help?

also remember we've gotta keep the price as low as possible. the mud rovers are affordable for all the tread you get. it would be nice if they handle mud well (i'm told they're excellent for that) as the truck is not 4x4 and usually ends up off of the road for any number of reasons....

i'm not sure but i MIGHT end up getting a 4x4 truck to plow with... waiting on a decision from my superiors.... if i don't get the 4x4 then its tires for the dually/flatbed F350. So any tires that would do better in snow that fit in that price range listed above (mud rover price)?
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Then buy the damn mud rovers. It sounds like your mind is made up already. :rolleyes:

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

No, i'm just saying, does anyone have any better suggestions that are similarly priced? I can't drop a small fortune in rubber for this truck.

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Just did a fast search and found this.
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/

Have you looked at the Radial Rover R/T?? It would prob put the M/R to shame.

Also Mud tires are always a little more than a comparable All terrain type tire.
    Size to Size comparo of same brand of tire. Ex. BFG A/T to a M/T. M/T is a little more per tire.

9. sillyp

sillyp Junior Member

hope my pics work

check out www.tirerack.com
    as far as what are sipes:

lot of sipes
    [​IMG]

Very Few Sipes
    [​IMG]

sipey tires are better for ice because of all them griping edges

i'd have to agree with those guys, if your gonna plow you want sipes. if you just want to drive in mud and deep or slushy snow, the mud terrain/max traction would be fine.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you better studd or chain those tires

11. aees115

aees115 Member

i have the mud rovers on my 04 diesel i figure they are gonna get ruined by the weight on the front. i cant complain about them they get good traction but have yet to plow in the snow yet but you cant go wrong for the money u know. i copuld pay 160 for a tire or 100 either way its gonna get ruined

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ok now siping makes sense and after reading that article (thank you for posting the link!!!) it makes sense how it all works and why its better. Thank you for bringing all of this to my attention. I will probably look at other options now too. I just heard so much good about the M/R's and everyone said they were one of the best tires for the money, go anywhere in mud etc. and do great in snow.
    Thanks now i will keep looking. Might end up with M/R's just for price and that i will use them other conditions too but i'll be shopping more.
    Thanks,
    Eric

13. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I agree 110+%. I had a set of the Radial Rover R/T's one time and they would flat get with it in the snow!!! They were about $110 a piece for 265-75-16. Would HIGHLY recommend. Look into them. :nod: :redbounce purplebou :bluebounc