1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumping Snow In The Road Long After The Storms Over!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColumbiaLand, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Long after a storm is over, usually the next day, when the roads are just almost dry and its time to wash off all the trucks and equipment there is a guy along the state highway just outside of town who will push several passes down his driveway and leave is in right in the middle of the northbound lane! He does not clean it up and just puts away his tractor and goes into his house. I have seen this particular guy do this for the last two years. Its very annoying and downright dangerous for cars. Sometimes were talking snow 3 feet high. Its funny because he has done this so many times just as I'm driving by with and he has been outside several times cleaning up with a shovel and I drop my blade and blow it all back onto the last 25 feet of his driveway. It drives me nuts to see him doing that, But I Feel like I Get my revenge when he sees it all blown back in.:gunsfiring: Anybody have any other creative folks like this?
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 Junior Member

Report him. Typically its against the law and /or local ordinances to push or throw snow onto public roads, or even to push snow across a road to the other side.
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

thats crazy but i also have someone right in my street who owns a skid steer and will push his snow right out infront of the trainbridge that cars go under to get in my neighborhood and just leave it there.
    if i dont get it the MBTA will so he gets it back either way
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just report it.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We have a older gent here that come Spring will cleanoff his lawn and fire it on the road on a nice spring day:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:tymusic
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Just report him. I wouldn't be caught trying to move it. The cops may assume that you put it there. If he can get away with it, he will keep doing it.
  7. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I'm surely gonna push it right back where it came from. I hate people that do that stuff.
  8. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

push it back!!!

Instead of blowing it back in the last 25 ft. Drive real slow and turn that snow into a 4-5ft. wall on the drive so he can't get out with the tractor...they always get THAT point!!!
  9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I had a guy in my neighborhood doing the exact same thing. He was a few blocks away. Anyways, I was going down the street and saw some moron shoveling snow piles into the street. RIGHT in the MIDDLE of the road. After about 30 hours of plowing, and almost being home, this really set me off. So I stop the truck, open the door and I said to him "what the f*** do you think your doing?" he replied "shoveling my driveway, get back in the truck boy" I then just simply said, "well I will leave, but if I see it again I will report it to the city. I don't pay taxes for the DPW to clear the streets so your lazy A$$ can put it back on the streets." So then I got in the truck, dropped the plow and kindly made a pass to put a nice snow bank back at then end of his driveway. So he then threw his shovel at the back of my truck as I drove away and of course this was in my dump truck, and he threw it at the dump body.... hahah, and the icing on the cake was when the shovel landed in my bed as I was driving away. To make a long story short, I have never seen snow in the road by his house since, and I check every storm.
  10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Take pictures if you can get them. Then go to the city/town/county and they have all the prof they need to go have a chat with him. If someone gets into an accident because of it he is liabale along with the government office responsible for the road.
  11. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

So you got a new snow shovel...
  12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya I did. And theres no snow in the street anymore. So it was a win win all around.
  13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

no i think it was just a win win for you, he did lose his shovel. :p
  14. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I have to plow the roads for a 90 house developement. Every time it snows and I plow the place out the fricken people come out with their shovels and snowblowers and push it or blow it back into the road :angry:!! Then the local hillbillies with their beat up barly legal trucks come to do the drives for $10 and make a fricken mess crossing the road and just leaving it:angry:. !! If I don't go back way after the storm is over they end up with speed bumps through out the whole place.

I'm glad it's the last year for my contract!!

I have to push across the main road in two places and I don't leave as much as a snow ball there!! How hard is it to clean up and not be a fricken slob!!

Sorry for the b*tchin'. He hit a nerve with this post! :drinkup:

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

my neighbor blew his snow into the road which turned rock hard instantly, i hit it and ripped my front valance off so ill wait till we get another big storm and put a block in his driveway,that should do something to his 3pt snowblower, do they have shear pins lol
  16. ooxteme

ooxteme Junior Member

You know I think they do on the shaft. Just dont get caught... That would suck
  17. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

thats priceless :D This sort of thing boils my blood too :realmad:

I always drop my plow & blow it back in the drive- I like the drive real slow method idea- I'll have to try that these next few days lol ;)

If someone really pissed me off I would drive by at about 3am & take the piles at the end of the drive apron & put em back in the drive :D
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  18. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Get some white twine and unravel it all then throw it in his driveway. Or parachute cord, that would be better. It would be a lot harder to get all that out than to change a pin.

I used to plow streets for a town and there was this one road where they always had their cars parked on the street. At first I'd plow around them. I told them to move them several times. They took advantage of my kindness. So then I started plowing right up to the back of them, and angling the plow hard right and packing them in and pushing the snow under them, and then plowing them in from the front. It must have been a real PITA to get those cars out. Snow packed all around and under them. They started coming out when they heard me coming.
    I don't remember anybody specifically, but when I'd see someone dump snow into the street I'd make sure they got more than their fair share in return.
  19. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I absolutely hate when people put the snow from their driveways into the road, and even more when other contractors leave snow in the road. They make a mess. It's one thing if you leave a little bit in the road when there's already 6 inches and the town hasn't come by.

There's one guy down the street from me, he snowblows his drive right into the road, and I usually drive by and push it back into his driveway. I'm sick of seeing people taking that curve and slidding out because of him.
  20. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I see that all the time when the city plow leaves the pile at the end of the driveway while cleaning the roads. I see some home owners will toss it out in the middle of the road for cars to drive over it, instead of piling it on their snowbanks. This boils me when I see this.