1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dumping snow from lot into creek..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthernSvc's, Mar 29, 2013.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

the situation: PM called me for a potential property to help with their snow removal needs, ( they do it themselves just need me to move piles with a loader during big storms) they wanted a quote for trucking snow off site as they dont have any grass areas and need all of their parking spaces, no problem I say, have dump sites and loaders... while looking at the property I noted that they have a a large section of the Desplaines river that runs right behind the property, butting up to their parking spaces, close enough to where a truck could push a snow pile right into the creek... all of their storm sewers on the property drain into the creek... Ive never had a property like this but so I have no idea if it's legal or not... but can I just dump the snow from their lot onto the bank of the creek? cause that would save them a ton of money and time...
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Save time yes,money no,you get caught dumping into any water way big fines.
  3. NorthernSvc's

what i figured... which is ******* dumb because all of the storm sewer drain right into it...
  4. grandview

Kind of like using snow melter,can't dump the water into the storm system,even though when it melts that's where it will go.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Like Grandview said its illegal, at least in NY. I don't know how big the creek is but I've heard of guys doing this, & end up daming up the creek causing more issues.
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Try using "Don't ask, don't tell". :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

we use them, their in the last part of the video

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I am sure somewhere in the EPA regulations. It addresses dumping parking lot snow into a body of water.
  10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A phone call to the local municipality would clear this up. My guess is they probably would say no way.
  11. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Just tell them (if there has been a drought in the area) that you're doing your part to bring up the water levels in the river! Saving the planet, one Boss V scoop at a time! :nod:
  12. NorthernSvc's

I like it!! except I have all westerns wesportwesportwesport
  13. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Pm me the city. Maybe i can find out some info for you from some "friends". Of course no mention of you or where ever the site may be.
  14. PushnSnow

PushnSnow Junior Member

The structures of a legal storm drain system have a sump. Usually about 20 inches or so. The theory is that the sediment will settle in these sumps. Also, before dumping in the creek most places require an oil/grease seperator of some sort, although very few of these actually work because they are seldom cleaned properly. Also, alot of places you can use a snow melter and dump directly into the storm drain system, although this has it's own set of problems. In extreme cold, dumping massive amounts of water into the storm drain is much more likely to cause frozen pipes than during the course of natural meltoff.
  15. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

They're very protective of Wetlands in Illinois! Whether it be swamp,river,creek,lake, or just standing water for an extend period of time. If it contributes to an eco-system...it's protected! The rule for wetland protection is 50 feet from the water source! You can not disturb the soil either! I know because I just went thru this with my property. If you can dump 50 feet away from the water you should be ok! With that said you still could get busted by some Dic*head that could make life a little difficult because of salt and garbage in the snow. If it were me I wouldn't worry about saving this guy money! Charge him to move it to a proper site. Give him the option of dumping close to the creek, but have him take the responsibility! Good Luck!
  16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

the owner of the company & the guy doing the dumping will be the ones responsible. can't dump into the waterway
  17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

With the fairly new stormwater regs in NY,any new paved parking areas need this filtering ''sock'' before stormwater can discharge from the site.DEC then monitors the routine maintenance of those filters.Stupid really when you think of all those other areas where vehicles drip oils,coolant,etc. onto the environment. They're called ROADS.:eek::rolleyes:
  18. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

:salute: I'm an equal opportunity environmental conservationist, Westerns, Fishers, Boss, Hinikers, or Blizzards!
  19. grandview

20. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^ Well if he's doing it.............................................................