1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ dumped into trucks

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james731, Mar 27, 2005.

1. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i was just wondering what kind of money you guys dump into your trucks as an average each year.

i have an 00 f-350 and last year i was about $2500 and this year i was just over $2000 well now that my whole front end has been either replaced or repaierd im hoping its not nearly as much next year.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The big question is do you do your own wrenching?
    I do stuff for about 1/3 of what a shop would cost.
    Brake job? I got $150 in parts on a $450 front brake job at the shop.
    The only thing I pay for is Transmissions and wheel alignments.
    Repair manuals will save you money,or at least you would know what is
    involved so they don't rape you!

3. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

how mutch do you think i spent?

Ive decided to rebuild my 97 F350! went and looked at a 05 F450 XLT it was nice but to replace my truck it would be over 50k my truck only has 65k on it and its paid for Well it needs an oil pan ,brake lines,and exhaust manifolds(broken and rotted bolts) if the motor has to come out i think i'll rebuild the hole truck here is my list oil pan,dip stick,water pump,fuel pump w/all hoses and lines to tank,all PS lines, all trany lines,send trany and transfer case out to get done,all brake lines including rubber,calipers and pads,drums,shoes,hardware,adjuster's,e brake cables and wheel cyls,glow plugs gp relay,motor mounts,trany mounts,all hoses and belts,starter,new exhaust manifolds w/new bolts,up pipe donuts,shocks,steering stabilizer,wheel simulators,water filter,wrap down pipe,twin 5" stacks, new oil cooler,18k mod,aux idle controller,clean and paint undercarriage than undercoate,tymar air filter, remove belt driven plow and replace with electric,and paint the engine to death I must be nuts!!! I'm going to pull it apart right now (did i forget any thing)

4. MickiRig1

OH MY GOD!
    I started on a front brake job today on my F-250.
    *Rotors are gone, pads are gone, pins are trash, time for new bearings!
    *The dust shields look like lace they are so rusted.
    *Found the "Clank" I would have in 4x4, it's the front axle RT side stub shaft
    U-joint ( carrier has to come out ) The others are sloppy too!
    *The play in the steering would be the lower ball joints and the Rt side tie
    rod!
    * One shock is greasy, leaking oil
    But the tires and lug nuts are save-able!

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

but how many miles do these trucks have?

im looking at geting a 01 f250 with 11k miles on it for like 16k, reg cab with a plow. however if its going to be money pit, i dont want to buy it, but again only 11k miles are on it

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt buy a truck with a plow on it since you dont know how it was maintained and plowing does increase the amount of wear on the truck
    john

7. MickiRig1

My truck has 150,000 on it, but it's been a plow truck it's whole life.
    It's 16 years old!
    My Dad always said never buy an old plow truck!
    I know why now, they most times need all kinds of parts and repairs!
    But, if you can wrench your own truck it aint so bad, it just takes parts and time. I have no payment so repairs here and there are not so bad.
    If I spend $1,000 a year it's still cheaper then payments of $500 a month for a newer truck!
    And I don't care about dings and scrapes.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I would say that on average I stick about $1,000-1,500 for repairs into each of the trucks. Here is a rough breakdown for each truck, $750 is for tires on each year. Then $200 or so for brakes, and another $200 for alignments every year, and the rest is other various things.

Then there is the money that I stick into each of the trucks for mods, both play and work. Just a quick guess, between the 97, 99, and 03 I think that I have about $35,000-40,000. But after all is said and done, last year the trucks cleared $46,000 me. So not too bad.

9. MickiRig1

I just finished replacing:
    * Ball joints
    * All front axle U-joints / center section seal and grease
    * Rotors
    * Brakes - Pads & Pins
    * Bearings / races
    * Cleaned hubs, seals, screws and greased
    * Cleaned and greased the spinal bearings and Rt axle slip joint
    All for $400 total, the last owner spent $1,500 on the same job because he had it done at a shop!

Last edited: May 16, 2005