1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dump trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tru cut, Apr 17, 2000.

1. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

looking for a 550 for plowing and landscaping. new 37,000for cab chassie 10-12,000 for henderson muni body WOW$$$ i like the idea of the sander built into the body would work good for mulch to but i think its to much$$.found a 99 550 4x4 desiel W9'fisher h.w. 8'ruby dump xlt loaded 12,000mi for 37,000.what do you think?? How do the tailgate sanders work compaired to a v box ??I can save big bucks over new but i am not sure about the body becouse i have no experence with then any sugestions would greatly apprecateded thanks<p>p.s lets not get into the ford,chevy,dodge,thing please<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok,<p>First if you want to haul a v-box with a 3 yards of sand, or a tailgate with 3 yards. The choice is yours, you will want the 550, right now ford is the only automaker offering a midsize truck with gvw above 13000 with 4X4.<p>I would look at the 99 F 550 with a serious thought. No problems with my 99 or 2000 fords so far, all diesel and autos.<p>The rugby body is a great body, that is the only brand i will buy now.<p>I would look at a replacement tailgate spreader, before i bought a under the tailgate spreader. I am going to use a replacement tailgate spreader on my 2 new 350s. You can get a replacement tailgate spreader from Meyer/Swenson/Diamond. This way you can use the dump body all year round.<p>For more information about the under the tailgate spreader, see a past thread.<p>As for the plow I hope the 550 has the 9' MC, that would be my choice no matter what truck you buy. <p>I have spoke about fords enough in this forum. You own one, i think ya know some about them too. So if ya want me to say more about them, i will just say so. <p>i will share this on the trucks i just ordered<p>F 350<br>4X4, 7.3, auto<br>XL with add ones<br>AC<br>8.5 Fisher v-plows ( waiting for Diamonds)<br>2-3&quot; yard rugby body on a 550 get the 3-4 yard<br>Replacement tailgate spreaders with electric controlls. Note these spreaders will carry about 1 yard of sand a storm 2 max. They are not a front line sanding unit. So i didn't go with a 550 for this reason. <p>Best of luck feel free to ask more questions.<p>Only on a side note. I don't know the size of lots you are plowing now, and what you plan to plow with this truck. Only my point is i saw f 650s with teh cat diesel and a manual trans for 32K no plow or body. So you upfitting cost would be higher. Only you would have a truck that would last a very long time, and be very tough. Thats if you have a market for the trucks capabilites.<p>Geoff<br>

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Geoff, if you have the space to park it the 650 is a better deal, less money higher GVW and you can probably earn more with it in the off-season.<p>Bill

4. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

geoff, I think the 650 is to big for what i need.mast of my plowing is small to med size lots.plus i still need to get into some drives i will buy another pickup for next winter alsobut the 650 is to big.<br> Do you know if rugby body has a web site i coullnd find one also who makes the replacement tailgate spreader & about how much are thay.<br> The truck is in mass.thay are going to email me pics to see the truck and plow thay said it has the mc on it the guy traded it for a 650 he needed something bigger it also has timbren rubber spings in it<br> thanks<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think a 550 would be a good size for you. Also,geoff, a replacement tailgate spreader is ok, but you have to get a central hydrualic system. I think &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.sandspreader.com&quot;&gt;downeaster&lt;/a&gt; makes an electric under tailgate spreader. The only think about it is raising you dump body, but, a &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.vibco.com&quot;&gt;dump body vibrator&lt;/a&gt; can help a lot. Also, you can keep the undertailgate model on all year. I went to washington,d.c. last summer , and the trucks there had the undertailgate spreaders still on them.<br>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com<br>

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bryan the electic tailgate spreader downeaster makes, is only for insert bodies. Go to maxidump.com for a product just like it.<p>Trucut:<p>Go to www.rugby.com.<br>Also a replacement tailgate spreader is good. Just make sure that if you go that way you have road and lot conditions you can drive around with the body raised. Also a hydrolic controlled spreader is a very simple system to repair, and offers the least down time of all the systems ( motor,electic, and hydrolic).<p>Geoff

7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff, rugby's site is www.rugbymfg.com. But,the thing about the central hyrdrualic systems is how are they powered? by belt drive? or a pump running off a battery? Are they hard to install? What are some companies that make them? Do you have them on your trucks?<br>Thanks<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

8. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

I'm new at this forum so be nice. Bryan to answer you question I have 3 cental hydralic system in trucks, 2- Internationals, 1 C-3500 1ton. I love them, better than electric I think. You can get them either belt or PTO driven. And yes if you don't know what you are doing they are a pain to installed especially if you don't have the tools. Not to say they are also expensive( $4000 Not installed and about a weeks worth of work.)

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I think it was Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse, or something like that, that had the components for a central system for around $1800. That includes the spreader controls as well as the electric clutch pump.<p>I prefer the clutch pump to a PTO drive as I can sit at a stop sign or street entrance and let the spreader run. If I had a PTO drive I would have to shift to neutral, let the clutch out to run the pump, then wait for everything to stop before I could grab a gear to get going again. On bigger trucks with low speed diesels you can drive right off the crank snout and get full time hydraulics. I think the new SD Fords can have a PTO option on the automatic that runs all the time. Might not be a bad setup other than you gotta have a Ford wrapped around it. (Sorry Geoff)<p>By the way, 4 grand for the parts for a central system seems REAL high to me. I can see $800 in the pump and mounts and pulleys. Another $600 or so for tank and valving and hoses. Even the $1800 at RCPW is a bit high if you shop around for the pieces.

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry,, in my last post I got the name of the company that has central systems for sale wrong. It is Central Parts Warehouse, not RCPW. Their price is $1,848 for a system that has pump, tank, spreader controls and plow/dump body valving included.

11. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

i was probably a bit high but by the time you buy the kit $1800-2100 then buy hose, pipe, fittings $1500 or so, our in the ball park. I have bought both my kits from Bill (CPW) he's a good friend of mine and they ranged from $1900-2200 depending on my truck. Thats not including hoses. I found out the hard way for what I spent on hoses it would have been cheaper to buy a hose machine(which i have now) in the beginning then buying them from someone else. Just a thought.

12. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

Also buy a clutch pump( belt Driven) over a PTO. I can't stand the PTO pump, this summer I'm going to convert it over to belt driven.