1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump trucks - where do you store tire chains?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pohouse, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

For those who drive dump trucks, where do you store your tire chains when not in use? I've been storing them on the cab floor, one on each side of the truck. When I need to chain up, I put them on. But then afterwards, I always hate to throw them back in the cab, covered in slush and salt. Not very time efficient either as usually the chains become all twisted up on the cab floor.

I know they make products like the one pictured that you can bolt on the frame. They are sort of expensive. $240 and would need to walk around truck to install. And security is not an issue for me. I'm interested in quick take off and installation. I'm thinking about fabricating some brackets and hanging them off the back for the season. There when I need them and easy to put on.
    What do you guys do?

[TB0]25-A+26-A.jpg

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

See them hanging off the frame or the body quite a bit.

3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Weld a couple or three hooks on the side of the dump box and hang them up there. They'll be out of the slush and out of the way.

4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I have a bin behind the seat...Slush melts off so the next time I need them they are not froze solid. Take the bin out and clean as needed.

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I found two holes already drilled in the frame in front of the rear tires that were almost as far apart as the chains are wide. I bolted two eye hooks there and got two real big caribiners that go on the eye hooks. I double each tire chain over twice and hang them there. Works great. The chains are all dirty and nasty when you go to put them on but then again they are when you take them off too so at least it keeps the crap out of the cab. They don't get as tangled hanging either as they do laying in a pile.

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

OK. Thanks for the comments. I fabbed up and bolted on some heavy duty brackets to the back of the truck. Chains hang on the back of the mudflaps. The flap protects them from the usual winter road crap and they are also easy to spray off after each storm. Also, I think the brackets will not be in the way when using the dump during the off season. I'm going to run with it for awhile.:salute:

chains.jpg

7. woodking

woodking Junior Member

I have one if the chain holder that bolts to the truck for sail won't work on my truck will sell for a 100 plus shipping. could put in eBay