1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump trucks plowing 2 wd?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TIM1399, Dec 3, 2008.

1. TIM1399

TIM1399 Junior Member
    from MASS.

I have a 97 ford f450 that i will be buting a plow for since it came with a fisher frame....its 2wd so anyone that plows in a dump 2wd help me out please.. What kind of weight do i need without overheating the trans? Thanks

2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i would start at 1000 lb..an good tires on the back...an stay on pavement...gravel:realmad: drives get icy

3. TIM1399

TIM1399 Junior Member
    from MASS.

Thats what i was thinking...about i full bobcat bucket of sand/salt.... Thanks

4. amscontr

amscontr Junior Member

Rock

We use about a half ton of rip rap (4" to 6") rock. Secure the tailgate and raise the bed shift load to the rear over the drive axle and we have never been stuck.

5. oleblue

oleblue Junior Member

I plow with a 1997 f450 i use a 72" rock hound skid steer attachment and have never been stuck yet

6. TIM1399

TIM1399 Junior Member
    from MASS.

Nice thinking oleblue!!! That is like 800 lbs right?

7. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

i use a 2000 chevy 2wd with a 8ft plow and just put weight in it like a v box salter or i put 1,500 to 2,000 lbs in it and it's like a 4x4

8. TIM1399

TIM1399 Junior Member
    from MASS.

I just installed my salt spreader yesterday, tonite will be a good test with no sand/salt in it since were just getting 1-3" thanks

9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

The most important things when plowing in a 2wd.

Get good tires. I run studded Goodyear Workhorses on the back of my dually in the winter.

A posi or locker in the rear will be greatly beneficial if your truck didn't come with one.

Weight, as everyone else has mentioned.

Plow with common sense and keep in my that it is only 2wd. No matter what, your steering in snow or on ice is not going to be as good as a 4wd. Be a little cautious when on slopes such as backdragging loading docks etc., don't drop your front tires over and curbs or ledges. Give yourself extra time and distance to steer, especially when you are running a lot of weight out back, the front tends to get light.

I plow with my 95 C3500 and I have never once got stuck. (yet :)) I'm pushing a Western V w/ wings that measures 10'6" and I rarely have to put salt in spreader to push.

10. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

In my 450 i havent used 4x4 yet. Load a v box its like you have 4x4, until you get in that situation.

11. john1066

john1066 Member
    from mass

we have a 1999 f350 2wd we just put a sander in the back and load it each storm and it pushes just like a 4x4

12. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres my 69 1 Ton , 300 straight 6 , 4 speed . Logs were from a ice storm , that is the third load left in it for counter.( its got a dump bed ) I do have chains for it but only used them once in the 10" we had last year . Havent had a problem yet . Need to put the power steering I have for it in though . Them rag joints dont do to well sitting still and turning , rolling yes , just not sitting.