1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck....

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Looking into adding a dump to my setup and trying to figure out what manufacturer I should go with. I'm a Ford guy already, so the F650 or F750 would be the sizes I'd want to go with.
    I have experience with the F650.... I've used one with a Cat engine, and one with the Cummins engine, and by far the Cummins was much better performing. So this leads me to my next question..... Are all Cat engines worthless?
    By no means am I tied to the Ford. I've also been eyeballing Freightliner FL70 size and International 4200......
    But I have no experience with either. The majority of Freightliner's I see are equipped with Cat engines. Freightliner's with a Cummins is hard to come by.. (I'm thinking there's a reason for that...)
    The only experience I have with Navistar is what they put under Ford hoods..... (and I can't say I'm thrilled with everything they do....)

2. ad8 PRODIGY

ad8 PRODIGY Junior Member

I often have wondered the same thing. However I do know that CAT has been getting out of the engine business. They are done with trying to make good engines with all this emisions crap from the gooberment. They are done.

3. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I think the problem was the Cat's you used were turned down too much. I have the 3116 but it is the high torque and it has all the power in the world. If you do buy a truck with a Cat in it do not buy it with around 300,000 miles unless it has been rebuilt as it is spendy. I also think it's good on fuel compared to the 550 size.

Look at Internationals with the Dt466, cheap to fix but not super powerful.

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

We have a ford 650 with juice brakes 26k gvw. I would not suggest a dt 466 in an international very hit or miss it seems a couple of our subs have had them and they were very dissapointed. Alot of 650-750s running around here. Also look into the mitsu fuso 26k trucks theyre good running motors.

5. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

the new navistar maxxforce engines are a joint venture between cat and navistar (international) i was even told a couple months ago the maxxforce 13 engines have the cat logo on the block

6. ad8 PRODIGY

ad8 PRODIGY Junior Member

Huh, go figure. Thanks!

7. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Yeah, I think Navistar and Cat put Cat's new on-highway truck together...... Funny how Cat gets out of over-the-road engines then releases a on-highway truck.

8. Mid-Ohio Scaper

What about Hino trucks? Are they even worth looking at?

9. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

The smaller cat motors are garbage. If I go with another cat motor, it won't be any smaller than a C15. But the f650 and 750 trucks are way under powered and really don't hold their value well. I would really lean towards a cummins motor.

Cat is getting out of the motor race because they are only making motors for their own trucks. The new Cat truck line will have their motors and transmissions in them.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with the small Cat engines is only that they sometimes aren't spec'd right to the chassis and/or the type of body used.If you put any low HP motor in too heavy a truck, you're asking for trouble with longevity.Clean oil is also paramount in a kitty cat because of the HEIU system.I have friends with the 3126 and the newer C7 engines with 300K miles and are still going strong.My 250 HP 3126 runs like a raped ape.

11. SullivanSeptic

Both of my 3126 motors are dogs and have lots of problems

12. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

kwhopper T300 or 330 petermobile, with a CAT motor and an allison

maxxforce 13/15 motors are CAT c13/15 short blocks with international top ends

13. SullivanSeptic

Yes. Both the c13 and c15 are sleeved blocks. My 3126's are not. So now they need rebuilding and I can't so it. So I have to buy a new motor. That's onea of many reasons why they suck

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it really cheaper to buy a new motor vs rebuilding the one you have? I'm asking because I don't know. I would think a rebuild would be cheaper but from the sounds of it you've been down this road already. BTW, thanks for that bit of info. There sure seems to be a lot of those 3126 motors out there. I swear every single axle dump I look at has a cat 3126 or a 3116(?) in it. Or is it a 3112?? I can't remember offhand....too many numbers.

15. SullivanSeptic

The 3126, 3116 and C7 motors are a sleeve less block liner. I would have to have the block machined out which is stupid expensive. So in other words, it can't be rebuilt. So I need to buy a new one. Also, the HEIU valve system sucks. Oil that is the least bit dirty makes the motor run like crap. I have to religiously change mine every 3000-4000 miles. If not, mine barely runs. Just an FYI
    for ya.

16. peteo1

Good deal. That's handy to know. What's a good mileage to figure on when one of those is due for a rebuild? We are currently looking for a dump truck and like I said before, I'm finding a lot of them with the cat motors. I really don't want to buy a truck and then turn around and buy a motor. Anything else I should be looking for feel free to let me know if you don't mind. Thanks again

17. SullivanSeptic

What type of trans? I have manual Eaton Fuller 8LL in mine. I've had trucks with the standard six speeds and they suck. No power. My one motor that I have to replace just went over 200,000 miles. The Cat dealer here in Chicago said they don't see them go over 10,000 hours to often with out a major problem.

18. peteo1

Yeah I'd much rather have the 8LL over anything else, especially a Rockwell. Those things don't even go into gear half of the time when you're stopped let alone going down the road. The 8LL has to be the easiest to drive out of all of them in my opinion. 200,000 miles huh? That's not really much for a heavy truck all things considered. I would've thought you'd get more out of a cat motor than that.

19. SullivanSeptic

Not the 3126. I do have decent hours on them, but still not being able to rebuild them is frustrating.

20. peteo1

Ok I guess ill be shopping for the 3126 by the sounds of it. I appreciate the info. Thanks again!