1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck Worth It?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Dec 4, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I found a "deal" on a '97 Chev 1 ton dump. Truck has a broken frame right behind the cab, nothing really bad. It has been at a friends shop (mechanic) for over a year.

6.5 diesel/auto
    219,000 miles
    new GM motor at ~150,000 done at dealership
    new trans with 14 miles on it
    newer ball joints
    newer axles shafts
    9' dump
    9' LEO snow plow

Truck has very little rust and seems to be well worth $2500 but I dont know if I am just getting into a rat trap with the broken frame and it being a 6.5

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I'm not the biggest 6.5 fan in the world, but as long as there is some kind of documentation or proof of the newer motor and trans, then I would buy it in a heartbeat. A 6.5 is definately not a Duramax, but I think they have a worse reputation than they deserve.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with your gut on that one... being a 6.5 and the broken frame RUN!!!!!

4. NBI Lawn

The guy who has the truck says he will fix the frame for $300. Said it "isnt that bad" and its common on those trucks to break there. I really only want it for a leaf/clean up truck.

Up in the air on this one :confused:. He said today he would go $2000...

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell him $2000.00 with the frame fixed and it maybe an okay deal. Do you have any pictures of the truck?

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If the truck is clean it's well worth it. The broken frame is common on the cab and chassis and is fixed easy enough by a good welder. Plate the break and do the same on the other side and use it.

7. 89smurf

89smurf Junior Member
    from Sask.

Just make sure you drill the ends of any cracks so they don't continue after they are plated over.

8. NBI Lawn

The break will be welded and then plated

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If it runs and drives good and they weld and plate the frame on both sides to keep from having the otherside break also it sounds like a good deal to me. A rebuilt 4l80e trans has to be worth atleast 1/2 that.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a good buy to me. Tranny alone is worth $2k, complete running 6.5TD is worth at least another grand... What have you got to lose? Does he have a clear title to it?

11. NBI Lawn

He has the title ready to go now. Heres the story on how he got it... He istalled a new tranny in it for the guy, guy comes and gets it, goes to get fuel, first job he gets to he hits something breaking the frame, drops it back off with my "buddy", that was a year ago. Since then they guy has built up a debt to him for repairs on other trucks... guy dropped off the title to clear the debt.

The only known issue is a loose wire on one of the glow plugs. When its cold it idles rough, but dont they all :rolleyes: . Oh and the tires are just about junk

Might just have to get it and see what happens. It will either be a good truck or be a POS but for $2000 its worth it to find out I think.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If it was here, I'd go buy it....!!

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like its worth $2k to me. Like derek said. If all else fails the motor and trans are worth the price+ some, cab, dump bed, rear axle, etc. I bet its worth 2x as much in parts as it is in running condition if you decide its a pos and not worth using.