1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump truck traction weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Oct 10, 2009.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Just wondering what is good to use for traction weight in the back of my dump (International single axle with 10' plow). I know people say to use gravel so water will drain, but what if I need to haul snow in the winter, do I just dump it in a pile somewhere, then reload it later? Is there something easier to load/unload as needed?
  2. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

concrete blocks, can get em for about 30 bucks, and u can load/unload them easy without a mess
  3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i agree on the blocks, where the big problem is with gravel or anything other than big blocks, is it may freeze in to 1 giant chunk of stone, and unless you have a heated garage it may be till spring before you can dump it out, We use our dumps for salting and use bulk salt, great for traction plus make a few cents salting, but we do cover the box so the salt doesn't get drenched and then turn into a 7 ton salt chunk
  4. U1200

U1200 Member

Well obviously anything big enough to matter on a dump truck won't be easily loaded or unloaded. Hopefully you've got a loader and if so I'd say the cheapest route would be a couple concrete blocks. they should be readily available at your local concrete plant since they pour them with whatever they haul back to the plant.
  5. Colombocustom

Colombocustom Junior Member

We use pallets of rocksalt. They weigh 2500lbs each and you can load and unload with a foklift or skid loader.