1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck - Tons of Salt per Event

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Patrick34, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

Guys with dump trucks, for capacity purposes, how much salt do you budget you can apply each night with a dump truck (i.e. 5,10,15 tons)?

I have a chevy 5500, and we spread approximately 15 tons per night with it.

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we have a 3500 and a 5500 we will fill each up to two times for 10 to 15 tons per event

3. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Really depends on the size of the truck doesnt it?

We have smaller dumps with 2 yrd spreaders and bigger with 5-7 yrd

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Our 4500 with hydrolid spreader puts down 15-18yds (at one site)
    Our 4500 with v box puts down 8-9yds
    Our 2500 with v box puts 4yds down

Total 27-31 yards

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

using an international and 350 dump we lay out 30tons a night

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you trying to figure out how much salting a truck can do in a certain amount of time? One of our trucks can put down 8 tons of salt in a night. That would be an average of 750lbs/location and doing 20 locations. This takes 5 hours. If he was putting down 3-4 tons/location I am sure he could use 20 tons/night.

Is there something specific you need to know?

7. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

I have a tandem axle dually dump, I can "legally" haul 10-yards of any material on a Class A road. which is approx. 14 tons. As long as the frost laws are not on. And of course with this mild winter they are currently not on. But when they do arrive and or I am traveling down any Class B road, my load will legally be cut in half. The weigh masters are still out there enforcing the weight laws in the winter especially in Oakland County where I do most of my salting.

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I can put 1 tonne down in about 5 minutes with my auger on and spinner on 8 :p

The truck holds 6-7 tonnes nicely

F550