1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by fms, Nov 19, 2008.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I've read the website info and saw one at a fair, but does anyone have experience with the DonwEaster tailgate spreader for a 3-4 yard dump truck?

I like the price.
    I like the capacity.
    I like the company and have had great luck with their product and service.

I'm concerned about clogging, keeping salt dry and someone driving my dump truck around the city with the dump up (possibly me).

Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I wish I had an answer for you...Unfortunately it seems that Downeast rarely comes on this site to answer questions. Seems counter productive to have a product and not come on and talk about it.
  3. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

call 'em

just like any salesmen they are selling the best product.
    go to a ford dealership and ask how reliable they are.
  4. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the replies.
    I went with a 3.3 yard, ss, hydrolic Downeaster. It was considerably more money, but driving around with the bed up on the dump made me nervous.
  5. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

cool, i was thinking about a ss sander my self after this year, i'll see how everything goes.

as far as the bed up i wouldn't have been to concerned, you only need to have it tilted up while doing the drive way, not going down the road. you would only need it up enough to keep it to the back.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

What did they give you for a price on the tail gate spreader?
  7. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't remember what the price was for the tailgate spreader. Between $3-4k. It's an inexpensive, high capacity alternative.
  8. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

price on Downeaster Spreader

I called DownEaster & a dealer in Manchester, they both said $2950. Anyone interested in buying a new DownEaster tailgate spreader or any DownEaster Spreader? Maybe someone would take a few hundred off if we buy 2 or more spreaders at a time?