1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck Project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Oct 17, 2010.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Well as most know I bought a 1988 Ford F-350 dump truck. I bought it under the conditions it needed some work due to the past owner dumping on a hill and bent some stuff and cracked some stuff. So I took the bed off to make the repairs neccessary. So I have repaired the sub frame so far, straightened the hoist out the best I could, and raplaced the rotten blocks. The hoist I have 1/4" plating to strengthen it right up. Here are some pics and a quick video.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck, doing anything with undercoating or anything while all that is exposed?

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

looks like you got some fun on your hands that looks like a mess where its all bent up

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Wear old clothes when working on that hog. Nice truck and good project. You have a great foundation to build from.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

It will be all undercoated for sure. And I do have one arm fully plated and I must say it is STRONG stronger then before I would say.

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ouch bent hoist never saw that before.

Look look now great time to change brake lines on that.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should paint every thing with POR 15 paint. I painted 3 of my uncle's International's frames and underneath the dump bodies. You can paint rite over rust with it (just remove all the flakes first). It works realy good but it does cost about $40 a quart. I sugest buying it by the quart becouse after it's opened it will turn hard over nite eaven in a properly sealed can. I also sugest wearing rubber gloves becouse gas won't take it off your hands. I stuck a paint brush in a cup of paint thiner and the next day the paint was hard on the brush. But like I said it works realy good. Go to http://www.por15.com/ for more info.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I am gonna do brake lines, rear shocks, rear diff cover seal

12. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

i was reading up on that stuff too i heard it was rlly good i might give it a shot

13. mercer_me

It is realy good and it gos on rite over surface rust. It sticks to surface rust the best out of any surface. But like I said it won't come off your skin. You have to pick it off and it doesn't pick off eady. I picked POR 15 off my skin for over a month.

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

how much can you get out of a quart? can i do the entire frame and rear and front end?

15. mercer_me

I'd say you could do all of that with a quart. I used a quart to paint a tandem axel International's frame from the cab back and some of the underneath of the dump body.