1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dump - truck or trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIDTOWNPC, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a 1 customer with 2 sites about 30 cars at each one. Snow can go in 2 spots and must be removed once those 2 spots are filled. I can stack pretty good with the bobcat that plows this location. Last year, I had a contact that would come with a tandem dump and haul for me. This year he is not doing any work. So I have a few options...
    I have run the numbers and can buy either a dump trailer or a used dump truck. I really have no use for either during the summer, other then the occasional dump run and odd job I might do on some of my own property ect.

I could try to find someone to haul for me, but for the rates, I think I would be better too own something. I have a dump site, 10 mins away.

I could buy a dump trailer approx $6000 to 7000 there are so many options however.
    or I have a local
    5 ton International Dump with fold down sides for $9000 (its someone I know, you can have a G licence and its standard)

I have never owned a Dump Truck so I don't know much about licencing, weights, towing, maint. ect... If I bought a dump all it would do would be haul snow, and I would probably use it to float the bobcat vs towing it with my 2500 Dodge.

People have told me to go to the states to buy a dump trailer?

2. nelstone74

nelstone74 Junior Member

I would go with the trailer.

One of the main things I would consider would be the hassle factor. The truck will have another engine and transmission to maintain and repair. I don't know much about your laws but it is much easier to license and insure a pickup and trailer than a dump truck.

You may be giving up some on size of load with a trailer. But with ramps (I think most come with them now) you can haul the skid in the trailer and maybe sell your current trailer.

One thing to look at is getting a goose neck dump trailer, (I don't mean to spend your money), but the load capacity and maneuverability increase dramatically in my opinion.

3. MIDTOWNPC

yes I dont know I want to fix an old dump truck thats what killing me.

The goose is an idea but I would then have to get hitches ect and I think they add up plus then only one truck could move it.... but then friends couldnt borrow it also

My skid is too wide to haul in any dump. I have an S300 and an A300. Id need 83inches and seems as though the price really jumps to go wider and heavier.

I have a float trailer that is in good shape and doesnt owe me a dime.

Snow is so Light I could probably get extended side boards on a trailer?

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Midtown, Yes, it would be wise to put some kind of sideboards on.

The only real hold up I would have with a dump trailer for this would be the fact that they dump so close to the ground compared to a larger dump truck. Your piles are going to be long & low to the ground. This may not be a problem if you have a large enough dump site for the amount of snow you'll be hauling.

5. Snowdog22

Snowdog22 Junior Member

I tried using a dump trailer for hauling snow and it took forever!! They do have a high enough angle to dump snow easy. Now.... I believe it would work if a person put a vibrator on the dump trailer. You could take an old starter from something and love-joy couple it with a shaft with counter weights. Just a little info for you if it helps.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

BTDT sold the dump trailer.
    Yes, all the licensing, fees, CDL, etc is all a giant PITA for the dump truck.

it's TOTALLY worth it.

I almost never haul with the pickup (only really stupid driveways that I simply can't get in nor park in the street), it's SOOO much better with a big truck.

Hauling equipment in a dump trailer blows. It's way up high, it's not attached well and it's not fun. Equipment trailers haul equipment.

I don't know how Canada works, but here, if you stay under 26,000lbs (and no more than a 10,000lb trailer) no CDL required. (other stuff still required).

YOu will find work, magically, for the dump truck, much more so than the dump trailer. Even if the dump trailer holds the same amount, you show up in a dump truck and people think "wow, I got a deal, it's a big truck"

you show up with a dump trailer (even if it holds the same or more) and people think "ohhh, I got ripped"

I've seen it happen.

I get work every week for my dump, lots of which I never expected and could have never done with a dump trailer. (although my dump truck is bigger, point still applies)

Single axle dumps are quite good with plows on them for bigger lots. You can move snow that no one else (short of another dump) can.

I posted a real long "so you want to buy a dump truck" down in heavy equipment forum about a month ago, I think it's got a lot of good info.

7. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

another with a dump trailer is the battery only has so many dumps before you have to recharge, i would go with dump truck

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

X2. I have experienced this. Its also much easier to carry a load than pull it, especially in bad road conditions.

9. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

You could hook up a lead to charge the battery... But the dump angles suck, I've had a hard enough time trying to dump damp Topsoil out of mine...

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would go with the dump truck.
    Alot more versitile IMO

12. MIDTOWNPC

Lonecowboy - thanks for the link I will read up a bit.

I dont really need any more work for either a dump or a truck. The price is season all inclusive with hauling... and I have the job for 2 years.

I would maybe use whatever I choose 12 times during the winter.

Ill read up a bit more and maybe price some other options

thanks

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 6x10 deckover dump trailer. 12K GVW. The deckover is nice because it is smaller so I can get into tight spots, and a higher dump pivot. The sides come off, so you can load stuff, like RR ties LOL, with a forklift. With nice tall sides you could get 8 yards on easy, maybe 10 or more. A dump trailer is going to be much less expensive to operate, license, and insure. I have mine connected with a charge wire so the battery stays full, and controls in the cab to operate the dump. The sticking snow problem is easy to fix. Just a little diesel fuel in a garden sprayer will fix that LOL.

Given your anticipated usage, I would recommend the dump trailer. You'll be surprised how much you use it for other stuff too.

14. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Why not rent a dump trailer when needed?

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I would think it would still be cheaper to hire a dumptruck.

16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I was leaning that way too, but I didn't know that was an option. :D

17. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You can get a used Mack Ch613 for fairly cheap. You wouldnt even need heavy spec. Put a 100 yard live bottom.... Haha. :p :laughing:

I like the idea of a dump truck over a trailer. However, as previously mentioned, the extra cost of maintenance, insurance, registration, so on so on, doesnt seem like something to look forward too..

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why do you need 83"? Bobcat.com has those two machines at 72" and 74".

19. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

For that amount of times you will be using it i would go with the trailer. Not only is it cheaper, but also much less maintenance and fewer parts to break.

20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i quite enjoy the two dump trailers we own a lot, we do lots with them and they are cheap to fix when they break down, cheap to insure, and easy to use, although a truck has good points too, usually carries more, is faster to use, and you can mount a kickass blade on the front, good luck!