1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dump truck or pick up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bulldog excavat, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bulldog excavat

bulldog excavat Junior Member

I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to answer my question, possibly saving me a lot of time and money.
    I have a bob tail (singe axle dump truck), 33K GVWR, 2WD (4 rear tires) automatic transmission 5 yard dump truck that I would like to put to work this winter. My friend who does commercial landscape maintenance picked up snow removal contracts on several large (home depot sized) parking lots.
    My questions are these:
    1. First and foremost is it advantageous to run a small dump truck over a pick up
    2. Can I use my trucks PTO to save money on hydraulics on the plow
    3. V-plow or straight blade
    4. Where can I find a good price on a used plow?

That's it for now, ANY questions, comments, concerns are very much appreciated.
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think for a lot that big, that dump truck would be a good size. A pickup wouldn't be big enough to do a whole lot of work on a lot that size. A V would be my choice of plow between that and a straight blade. You might also want to look into a Blizzard 8611 Power Plow, or a Western Wideout. Those are nice for big lots. Oh and make sure you put ballast (weight) in the back of your truck since it is only 2WD.
  3. bulldog excavat

Thank you!

thanks for the affirmation, I was going to put 4-5 yards of sand in the bed, that should add about 12K pounds,
    I was also thinking the V plow,
    What size would you suggest? and who makes it?
  4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

BOSS 10' V-Blade !
  5. J & A

J & A Junior Member

Single Axle Dump

I agree with everyone else the single axle dump is the way to go for parking lots I just upfitted my international with a western heavy weight 10 foot for roads and my bigger lots used it last winter and it worked great .
  6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I think that you may want to look into salting or sanding before getting a plow. I'm only suggesting that because a company I worked for had loads of plow equipment and the plowing contracts. A new guy with 1 dump truck bought a salter/sander and salted all of our lots and picked up a few other lots to do. We had storms that took 17hrs. plus to plow and he made near the same money as we would if it could be done plowing in eight hours. Also there were events that were salt/sand only (freezing rain). He was busy enough throughout the winter and the salter paid for itself in less than one season. He was on by the tonne and we were on by the hour. I am sure he did as much in income as we did that season but with fewer hours. 3hrs. plowing is equal to roughly 1/4 to 1/2 hr. salting and he got to sleep in while we cleared the path.

Investigate your market and see where the gaps are and fill those gaps.

Welcome to PS bulldog:waving:
  7. bulldog excavat

salt and v plow

This site is awesome,
    How much is a 10' Boss plow?

Also, to our northern neighbor. Salt advice is also appreciated, and under consideration. The truck is already plumbed for a salt distributor with the pto. My friends contract is for liquid de-icer, is salt better? he said the customer does not want salt tracked into the building via foot traffic.
  8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Salt over de-icer is subjective. I don't like having to clean floors either but I have too. Where I live salt is great except for it when it gets too cold and it becomes ineffective. Here we use sand salt mix because we need traction in all temperatures. I live in a basically rural area therefor there is not a lot of money to be spent for winter maintenance and it is impossible to maintain a "bare asphalt" condition with the budget that the customers have to work with. I have little to no experience with liquid de-icers. There is a lot of info on this subject if you use the search.

Your PTO will work everything if you get the right valves installed.
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Plows I recomend for you situation:
    9.5' Fisher Xtreme V
    Fisher XLS
    10' Boss V
    Since there are man holes, drains, and other things sticking up in parking lots you may want a trip edge. All Fishers (except the Home Steader) come with a trip ege, the Boss V plows have a trip blade.

It's the same wear I live, salt works great except when it getsto cold. We also we use sand salt mix.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're joking right? There isn't a plow on your list rated for an application over 24K GVWR. Any one of those would be a pretzel after the first event on a 33K truck. Not even an MC series Fisher is recommenced or warranted on a truck over 27K.

Bulldog you really need to look at the heavier plows for that application.
  11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

B&B is right. Too bad you can't find a good used Frink. My Dad that is now retired used them North of Parry Sound for 20 years and never had a complaint about them. What ever happened to Frink? They were good fabricators..
    They were mounted on single axle 28k trucks for the municipality and pushed 2 feet of snow like there was no tomorrow.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But then MM buys scrap iron, which is what any of these plows can become very quickly if you install them on that heavy a truck. Take B&Bs advise and look for a plow designed for that weight class.

Is you PTO continuous duty? Most truck come installed with a momentary duty PTO designed to operate for a short period while sitting still and dumping a load, not for continuous service use while driving as required by a hydraulic spreader..
  13. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

If I remember right and don't hold me to this....Frink was merged or bought out by Everest plows maybe in the late 90's

We had a 9' 5'' Fisher V on a Chev 5500? I think at a company I plowed for and it was way to small for that truck.Look into an Everst or similar type plow if you do consider the plow
  14. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to break balls, Im just bored. If Im correct, a bobtail refers to a tractor with a 5th wheel without a trailer? I could be wrong :p Anyway, I would listen to what B&B said, the guys like a plowing guru. Go for a heavy duty plow. Once in a while you can look on Craigslist or some MachineryTrader or something and see a guy who has an 11' hd blade.
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

correct! (adding to make it 10 long)
  16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Here's what you need.... "built for a canadian winter" :nod:

Plow Name XHD120-P
    Length 120"
    Moldboard Height 33"
    Material 3/8" Poly
    Plowing Width
    (Full Angle) 104"
    Complete Weight *1133 lbs.
    Mounting Type Detachable
    Removable Lights
    and Power Unit Yes

17. bulldog excavat

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    I've been told by several local people that the small dump will not maneuver as well as a pickup. I'm sure this is true, but I think my turning radius is not much worse than a 4wd pickup (with the 4WD engaged).
    At what point is a small dump truck too much?
    Does anyone know how these older international's transmissions take the constant shifting?
  18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Well i'd assume you'd use that truck on large commerical lots, shopping malls, distribution centre's, factories, ect. ect... You dont use it to plow the local a&w, or tim hortons... There's 2 or 3 guys around here that use freightliner X city trucks to plow thier lots and they work great... They even leave them sitting on site
  19. bulldog excavat

dump tuck plow

Triple L,
    Good to know,
    That plow is $9600.00 Canadian. I might as well buy the 79 International with the 10' boss plow for sale on this site. It's less AND it comes with the truck
  20. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We had a 10ft Western put on our Topkick a few years back. Used it mainly for roadways in some of our larger properties at night, then went off to start a salt run. I wouldnt recommend a single to do any type of detail plowing, and it can get quite tiresome clutching and pounding gears in a lot all night. Needless to say, we took the plow off a few years ago, and the truck just salts now.

IMO, if your looking for a heavy duty plow for your truck, look into Machinability>but I'll warn you now about the price. Good luck.