1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump truck advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplower1, Mar 3, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

We had a transmission blow in our oldest truck and it just isnt worth it to replace so we are considering replacing it with a dump truck as we have been trying to find the right time to buy one.

my question is, what kind of dump truck is the best for us? We would be putting a salter in the back and most likely a plow in the front for winter and the summer we would be hauling mulch and stone and any landscaping products...

I was thinking maybe a f-550 but my thing is i want to make sure whatever dump bed i have, it holds at least 5-6 yards of mulch. I am not sure quite how much you could get in a 550
  2. A 550 with sides could hold 8 to 12 yards
  3. snowplower1

Wow that's what I'm looking for. how hard is it to build sides for it? I'm not the greatest when it comes to buildin something
  4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I've put 4 yards of mulch in a 250 with 3 foot side boards, I think you could handle 5-6 yards. Mulch doesn't weigh that much. I would go with a 550
  5. snowplower1

Allagashpm, how did you go about putting boards on your 250? I'm probably going to do that with my 350 since it would be able to handle probably 4 yard. I just don't know how to go about putting boards on the truck
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Cut boards to fit in the stake pockets on your bed rails. Run a reinforcement board from side to side at the front that's fixed on top, and then one in the middle and one in the back that are removable via hardware.

We have headache racks in our trucks, and use bagged mulch so we don't have to worry about loose material falling out between the bed and cab. I have had a little over 6 yards of bags in my short bed Dodge with no issues. The long beds will hold about 8.
  7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Make sure the F550 has a gvw of 19,500 and not 17,500. 6 yards of mulch is nothing for the 19,500 F550. Mine was a 17,500, and I used to cross the scales at 22k and more all the time.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Check with your state to see what classification of license do you need to drive it

Example, IL, a regular DL won't cover the weight.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. snowplower1

in ny you dont need a cdl until you have a gvwr of 26,000k
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not saying it isn't. Just something to think about a long with the other legal considerations driving a truck that large

Building sides are easy, google some pics and you'll see.
  11. snowplower1

cool thanks. i will have to look into if there would be any restrictions for a truck that size. anyone from ny drive a truck that size know the restrictions?
  12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

26000#s up, need cdl b, air brakes need endorsement....hauling a trailer over 10000#s with it , need a cdl a

it is based on gross weight on registration