1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rich Graz, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

So i'm thinking about purchasing a dump trailer. I figured I would be able to bring my skid steer to a sight, well basically be able to use it as a trailer and along with being able to have another piece of equipment to help cart and relocate snow. I would appreciate some insight on from others that have them or opinions on them.

2. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I have one and I do love it. It does come in handy both a a trailer and as a dump trailer. Mine is an 8X14' and 14,000 gross. I do haul with a 1 ton. My only problem with it is that everyone I know wants to use it. It does come in handy. My only advise to you would be to go used if your not going to use it, or not sure how much your going to use it. They are a dime a dozen nowadays.

3. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

Thanks for the insight, I'm definitely going to get one and 8x14 was also the size I was looking for just been checking out the used market on craigslist and ebay for local sellers. The new ones seem to be around 6k with delivery and the decent used ones don't seem to be that far off on pricing.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Yeah, new pricing vs used pricing doesn't seem to be too much different. I own a couple, and the best thing I can say is buy it from a reputable dealer, we had the hydraulic piston go after about 2 months, and were told to pound sand, that they couldn't do anything because the manufacturer wouldn't. Complete BS

5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I know you said you were looking for a 14' but I have a 05' or 06' cam superline 10' 12,000lbs that was used only for a leaf box since new I am selling this fall. Looking to get around 4k

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have used a dump trailer for moving snow. It's slow. If your locations force you to back up, that's another disadvantage. A low profile is good for hauling equipment, but will cause you to drag the pile out further when dumping.

If you decide to get the trailer, get the longest one you can find/afford. They tow better, and of course hold more. I would also get/make some raised sides for it. Maybe expanded metal. I had mine wired to control the dump with switches in the cab, which is nice in the cold weather. And don't forget to bring the spray tank with diesel :D

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a cam superline deckover 7x14 and move snow with it
    And it works fine. I have side boards I put on. Only thing is keeping battery charged on multiple runs. Tends to wear out after ten dumps
    The deckover dumps better then a standard cause it's higher.
    My remote cord is long enough that I can open the gate and start dumping them walk to the truck and pull it ahead the put it down and shut the gate
    I really like the cam superline brand Well made

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can wire your trailer plug to charge the dump battery while the truck is running.

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I found I still ran out of power a lot doing it this way so I actually ran 1 guage welding cable directly from my truck batteries to the back and used a heavy duty connector to connect it from the trailer to the truck.

10. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

I did the same as buckwheet. It was the only way to get more than about 10 runs a night out of it. I have had constant problems with wiring on mine, and last winter it sat for a month between snow hauling and spring clean up and the electric breaks siezed. Opperator didn't realize until he tried to stop with a load on... that went badly.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Should always test the pull the break away switch before hauling. Would have found that problem.

12. rdazzo13

rdazzo13 Junior Member

I had used a 14'x7' dump trailer to relocate snow last winter. At the time i did not have a secondary trailer for my skid steer and was loading it in the dump trailer. I now have a 14ft flat deck trailer i use primarily for transporting the skid steer. I know this may not be a big deal to some but what a pain in the neck it was to chain the skid steer down in the dump trailer compared to the flat deck trailer. Also keep a small torch handy incase foot wells get jammed up with snow.

13. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I guess everyone cant be as sweet as i am...... ;)
    when we're done we just lift the skid steer and put it ontop of the Snow melter!
    [​IMG]
    Im BS'ing but that would be sweet to have one of these only problem is the price for this one is 204,000 Bucks.

14. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

Why would the foot wells get jammed, due to low temperature and snow, hence the torch?

15. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

I'm assuming thats the price of new, do you know what the used ones typically go for? It would be sweet to own one these snow melter's.

16. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Owning one is one thing, fueling it is a whole other ball of wax! Not sure if it is worth the price of ownership/running it if you can haul it away.

17. rdazzo13

rdazzo13 Junior Member

yes i have an older bobcat 743 with hand and foot controls and when lifting overhead sometimes a little bit of snow falls in and then gets stepped on and turns to ice in the footwells. I have since made a front door that helps with this situation

18. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure.....I was only BS'ing so i found an article which said this exact one cost the TWP 205k dollars. never priced one out before

19. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

I have read and heard that hauling vs melting isn't really saving the company money. The fuel by the hour is a lot and hauling varies depending upon your dumping sight. I would say its a nice toy to have and is more a convenience to the contractor to not have the down time of hauling and having those vehicles still working if need be or less labor cost. I do remember doing the math and prices i would need to be at for the customer were similar if not more if I purchased one, although for your environmentally safe client there are melter's out there that do not release emissions in the air. Not sure where they go but have read product details, I assume they cost even more.

20. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I have a appalachian 7x12. Dump trailer. 15,000 gvw. Open sides so it can be a flat deck. I absolutely love it! Costs less to maintain, registration is way cheaper, cheaper to insure too.