1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump trailer review

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CashinH&P, Apr 22, 2013.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Hi guys, not a commercial plowing question pu a commercial lawn care guestion, I am in the process of purchising a 6x10 7000lbs gvw dump trailer.

Im looking at the downeastern or the car mate trailer.

Down eastern $4700 w/steak pockets (no wait)
    Car mate $4700-5000 w/ steak pockets (4-6 week wait)

What are your thoughts on these two trailers?

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

3. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I have no experience with either of the brands you listed, however I can give you some of my personal experience with the trailer I bought from Cross Country Manufacturing.

Look over all of the welded joints very well. Press on some of the joints. The trailer I got they only spot welded the panels together to allow easier replacement, however they filled the rest of the joint with silicone caulk, then painted over it.

Now after using the trailer for 1 year the silicone has flexed and moved causing all of the paint to crack and start chipping off. Of course this has also lead to major rust issues at every single joint.

I called the manufacturer and voiced my concerns and was pretty much told to f-off. So that also says bad things about their customer service.

I don't know if all manufacturers build their trailers the same way, I recommend asking, but definitely avoid Cross Country at all costs.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Bri-mar makes a real nice dump trailer. Really popular here in NW Pa.

5. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Iv seen a few on craigs list but I dont think there are any dealers around. I am buying new so I get the waranty, plus I found a dealer who will sell the downeaster to me for $3995 if I pay cash. So looks like Ill be picking it up on saturday.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday and we got on the subject of dump trailers. He's on his 4th or 5th and just picked up a Hillsboro in january. In the past he's had mostly Redi-Haul I think but said the hillsboro is the best one he's ever used and also is designed well. Might be worth considering.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd go for a 14k, it may be overkill for what you're doing but you'll never overload it, plus you'd have bigger brakes, 10 ply tires, etc.....
    PJ and Load Tral are big around me, I have a friend that has a Gooseneck Load Trail and another with a bumper hitch PJ. Both a very nice but the Gooseneck is the only way to go hands down.

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

ended up going with the downeaster 6x10, instead of the 7,000lbs gvw I went with the 10,000lbs gvw (it was only $300 more) I havent used it yet just brought it home this morning.

mail-8.jpeg

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's pretty easy to overload a 14k trailer, but it definitely has a lot more useful potential then a 7 or 10k trailer. I'd prefer a gooseneck as well, I prefer them on most all trailers compared to a straight hitch.

10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Truck is only a half ton, or I would have looked into getting a goosneck.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a gooseneck in my old half ton :D

12. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Looking to sell a 2011 14000 gvw dump trailer with cover and sides it is like new will not fit my bob cat need to go one size up $ 4900.00 out of haverhill ma

TRAILER.jpg

TRAILER 1.jpg

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That's a 14k trailer? What brand & model is it?

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That would be a Cam Superline, like it says on the side! Lol

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

yes.....but what model? It looks like its about 10ft long in the pic???

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a 6x12 cam dump and that is definatly alot smaller.

17. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I had a brimar........nice trailer.......stupidly sold it to get a dumptruck......now I have a Hawke.....hate it.....only good things is it has power down......dump angle sucks, paint job sucks......suppose to be a lowboy....but still very high deck....

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Kinda why I was asking....I have a hard time believing that's a 14k trailer but whatever:rolleyes:

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 6 lugs tell me it's 5200lb axles and probably around an 11k gvwr.

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

my cam can carry 8K lbs and is gvw out at like 11,950 or something like that . over all a pretty good trailer. but i think i would go longer and wider if i got another. my gehl fits in there just right.