1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer Chip Boxfront

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by J&D, Sep 3, 2008.

1. J&D

J&D Member

I know this is not a picture thread but I figured it would be the best place to find a picture.

Does anyone have a picture of a dump trailer turned into a chip/leaf box? I have a dump trailer and was thinking of buying a leaf vacuum. But it's not turned into a chip box. If anyone can post a picture of what there's looks like. My plan is to mount the leaf vacuum in the back of my pickup and have it blow thru the front of the dunp trailer. Any sugesstions would help.
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Most trailers have post inserts for 2x4's so use those to make a high box, and frame a roof or just use a tarp to cut down on weight. I'd mount the vac on the trailer tongue or on the plywood front of your leaf box. I'd probably also do hinged doors off the sides as opposed to off the top.
  3. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

My dump trailer is set up just like yardmedic mentions.

Use plywood for sides and use caulk to seal any leaks of air. Mesh tarp on top with vac mounted on trailer tongue and hinged door in back for dumping.. Really pretty simple to set up.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't mhave any pics, but I did a dump traile one. I made a angle iron frame and the used plywood. That way the guy could unbolt the pieces and lay them flat against a wall. I do the same with my box that is in my dump body. I also like to do barn doors and use latches on the bottom along with a 2x4 across the middle to hold it closed. I did the box off the front but then we moved it to the back because of tongue weight. I had to make a bracket for it and a stand so he could remove it to go dump.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I just got a new dump trailer and will be picking up my new 18hp Billy Goat leaf loader within the next week or two, once i get it mounted up the way i want it i'll post up some pics for ya :)
  6. J&D

J&D Member

thanks for the feedback guys. MCW that would be great to see some pics of your set up.
  7. mcwlandscaping

Shoot me an email too at mcwlandscaping@yahoo.com that way if this thread dissappears i'll have that reminder to at least email you the pics....chances are they will be posted in their own thread though! :) Just want to be sure that you get the pics for sure!
  8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I would like to see what you build also MCW. PLease keep us updated.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I just saw a pic of one on lawnsite this morning. Look there-I think its for sale.
  10. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

here is mine, we can fit 20+ cu yds of leaves in there. roughly 25-30 5-10k sq ft lawns. Before the leafe loader we could fit maybe 10 lawns worth of leaves inthere.

11. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Nice looking set up Executive, just how I would want it too.
  12. J&D

J&D Member

Executive, nice one. What model leaf vacuum do you have? HP/Brand? Thanks for the picture, looks great.
  13. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

Executive, very nice setup, I tried that one year without a door on the back and just the mesh tarp. Doesn't the tarp rip fairly easily with everything hitting it. I went back to having a hinged door because of that. I wonder if I was doing something wrong.
  14. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

Thanks guys,
    The leaf loader is a Trac-Vac with i believe the 16 hp briggs vangaurd
    10" intake hose and i think its a 8" discharge chute
    We havent had any problems with the mesh tarp thats on there, it holds everything back from chunks of sticks, rocks, and leaves with out any problems.
  15. mcwlandscaping

That makes me feel a lot better about buying the 18 hp billy goat seeing that your 16 horse model works out well....could you potentially show some pics of how you mounted the vac to the front of the trailer...i was thinking of doing something very similar.