1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer Capacity Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by knpc, Oct 1, 2015.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I am going to buy a new dump trailer and had a question about capacity to get. I have decided on a Cam Superline 6x10 after a lot of research. The question is which GVWR to get, the 8,000 lb or 11,000 lb. All specs are roughly the same except axle capacity. I have a 2500 so I know I can legally tow either but the other two guys in the company have 1500s. Their trucks can only tow around 9,000 lbs from what I can gather. Legally, is it the GVWR of the trailer that matters or how much the trailer actually weighs should they get pulled over. Are there any other considerations I should be thinking about?

Thank You
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are buying it and your truck can handle it then go with the bigger one. Why size your equipment to someone else's needs?
  3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It makes no difference. A trucks gross combined wt is not listed on the truck. It's only a sales tool. As long as the trailer isn't over wt, and the rear axle on the truck isn't over wt the police don't care. The higher gross axle will only weigh a few more lbs. Get the heavier trailer as you'll overload anything you buy sooner or later. It's real easy to do with a trailer.
  4. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I usually tow our 14' cargo trailer with my 2500 and one of the 1500s tows the dump trailer, though I do tow the dump traler at times. I would prefer to go with the higher capacity as long as they can legally tow it. The empty weight is only 180 lbs more from one model to the other, it's just the beafier axles and tires. They won't ever have 11k in it, I just like the idea of stronger axles instead of being close to the limit on the 8k one. It's really just the sticker saying 11k on a 1500 that I was concerned about should they be stopped by dot or police
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Go big as u can afford on the trailer. Plus do yourself a favour and get a pj
  6. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I don't know how it works in your state, but in New York you MUST have a CDL to pull a trailer rated for more than 9,999 lbs. I know other states have the same thing, not sure if it is all of them.
    It does not matter how heavy the trailer actually is, only what it is rated for.
    I do not think registering it for under 10,000 works, I think the manufacturer has to rate it that way. Some of them do offer that option.

In NY the license required is a Class A, which is the same thing required for a tractor trailer, though if you do not use a combination vehicle with air brakes you would not have the air brake endorsement, so you couldn't actually drive a rig.

I don't know if an officer would ever check that if they did pull one of you over, but you probably wouldn't want the hassle. It would be a "driving out of class" ticket, and a tow, unless you can get someone with the proper license to pull the trailer away.

As for the 1500s pulling it, that isn't an issue, more or less. As long as the actual weights are within the truck's ratings then you will be okay, legally. They will likely require a weight distributing hitch with sway control if loaded to over 5,000 lbs. That would be the case with either trailer.
  7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have heard this repeated so many times. It got me at first until I did my own research and actually called dot. You can tow a trailer over 10k as long as your combined is not over 26k. So with my truck at 11500, I can tow a trailer with a gvw of 14500.
    But say your truck has a 20k gvw, you can go over 26k as long as the trailer is under 10k.
  8. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

You can pull anything you want in NY until your GCVWR is 26,001+

You can have a 12k GVWR truck, and pull a 15k GVWR trailer with a push mower on it, even though the actual combined weight probably closer to 11k, your 'potential' weight is 27,000# and you need a CDL.

At the telephone company we had a Ford 600, lucas girling electric over hydraulic brakes, big truck with a GVWR of 26k. It was legal for a D class NYS license (Truck weighed in around 16k). The second we put a trailer capable of hauling 1 pound or more behind it, a cdl was then required.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I've been waiting for this. The big confusion with the 10K trailer rule comes when the tow vehicle is over 26,000lbs. If the tow vehicle is over 26,000 but the trailer is under 10,000 you can use a class B CDL. That allows tree co drivers and similar to pull a chipper or stump grinder etc behind a bucket truck on a B. It would be rediculous ( even for the Govt) to require an A in that sort of situation.
  10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

In mn you can tow a 9000# trailer behind a 26000# truck no cdl
  11. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

I would do a little research on the requirement of needing a Class 1 Lic. to tow a trailer over 10,001 # in Taxachusettes .
    It has been hashed over in many on line forums , including this one .
    Here is one post with a lot of links to other forums post .

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

He is correct in my area they give tickets out for that doesn't make any sense but true