1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Insert

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by Pristine PM ltd, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Will Downeaster look into a dual pump instead of a single for their dump insert?

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

does any dump insert have a dual pump?
    what problems are you having?

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Don't really see a need for duals

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Maybe he means a dual acting cylinder power up and down. Some dump inserts have them.

5. coastal1

coastal1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Are you referring to a dual acting cylinder (power up - power down)? If so, we do offer those as an option on all of our dump inserts. Check with your local DownEaster dealer or contact us for more info. Thanks!

6. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

Coastal1, I have a Downeaster stainless dump insert with the stainless tailgate replacement spreader, do you make a variable speed controller for that spreader? Also, I would like to mount the spreader on an Iroquois dump body, and if possible, be able to switch it back to the dump insert. How permanent is the conversion kit to mount the tailgate spreader to the 1-ton dump box?

7. Pristine PM ltd

Sorry, I forgot to check back with this thread.

We had a bolt come loose on the end bracket that pivots and because of the one pump the weight of the box came down wrong and damaged our truck.

As well, with off balance loads dual pumps would help, one on each side if you know what I mean.

I agree, VSC would be great to have.

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I have a dual acting pump on my ss downeaster insert.

9. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Why is it everytime I send an email to Coastal about their Downeaster tailgate spreader they never return one email? All I would like to know is how much they are. Does anyone have a used one for sale?

10. Pristine PM ltd

I left 3 phone messages over the last couple of years and the same thing, no response. I think it has something to do with dealing with their distributor.

We still have an unresolved warrenty issue with Kooy bros that Costal has never dealt with since Jan...

11. DownEaster

DownEaster Sponsor

Reply for Mr.Hydroseed

We apologize for your e-mails not getting answered. If you have any questions go to our website contact info or e-mail downeaster@sandspreader.com or call 207-729-5101.
    WE will be glad to answer any questions you have. As far as quotes, we are a distributer, so if you tell us where you live, we can give you a list of dealers closest to you and they will give you a quote on all of our DownEaster products. Thanks

12. DownEaster

DownEaster Sponsor

Please call us and we will take care of any questions you have. Ask for Ray if you would like to know who is the DownEaster dealer nearest you. Call and ask for Norm for technical questions. Thank you DownEaster

13. DownEaster

DownEaster Sponsor

Dual Pump Questions??

DownEaster does offer a Dual acting Power Up / Power Down Dump Insert.. As far as a Dual Cylinder Hoist, No we don't offer it because our Scissor hoist is alot stronger than 2 smaller cylinders hoist which is what you would need in order to fit. Secondly, because both cylinders would have to be synchronized exactly, which is possible but keeping it that way is improbable. And this would cause twisting of the Insert. Hope this helps and thanks for the great questions. DownEaster Guy

14. DownEaster

DownEaster Sponsor

Tailgate Spreader reply

Yes, DownEaster does offer a Variable Speed controller for you tailgate Spreader. Call us for part no. and also for the conversion kit for your Iroquois body. Calling is the best way to handle this particular situation. Thanks DownEaster Guyussmileyflag

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

WELL THERE IS YOUR ANSWER.....1111 Did you thank him for responding....

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If it was me I would call Jerres Service in Erie PA. He is a dealer for Downeaster, I bought my dump insert and also my spreader from Jerre. One of the best things that I could have done. Last winter I was spreading salt at a local church and the dump insert would not come down. It has a two way cylinder on it. called Jerre told him what was going on and he held my hand till we got it figured out. Turns out it was a dirty contact on the down button in the controller. I will say it has been well worth the money.

Regards Mike

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I love my Downeaster! It is easily in the top 3 best pieces of equipment I have bought. I am on my 2nd motor though, but its a machine it will break without notice. The motor was repaired then replaced so all is good.

18. jmainel1

jmainel1 Junior Member

Why would you want double acting? I have a CornPro dump trailer with gravity down...much less work on the electrical system and batteries to have to power the dump bed DOWN. Anyone know of a dump insert maker from massachusetts? I'm looking for one with a low install height, I see most add about 4" to the bed height of the p/u.

19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i agree. i dont like using any dumps that have a double acting cylinder. Mainly because gravity down is usually quicker and it almost seems like im twiddling my thumbs waiting for the bed to come down with hydraulic down.

20. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Until you have had the joy of shifting load and then having the dump STUCK in the raised position you will never understand the power up/down.

As for the uneven load coming down and damaging a truck. WOW! I would have love to see that as I have easily put over 500 tons of salt and maybe 1000 yards of mulch through both of my Downeaster Inserts not to include soil, grass clippings and everything else I can get in them legally, and NEVER have I seen that happen. How does the load get stuck on one side???? Not saying it can not be done but I think it would take some work.

Again with over three seasons using the insert with tailgate spreader I learn the Variable speed controler is a WASTE for my application (large lots).

Lastly, I have NO DEALER SUPPORT. I REFUSE to drive to someone and I ordered DIRECT from Costal Metal Fab and have my local wrench work on my units when needed. I call and talk to Bruce for parts and he has NEVER failed me. I have talked to tech support and he has talked to me from the shop floor several times. These are the most customer friendly manufactures I hae every dealt with. I get better support from them out of state and NEVER having done business FACE to FACE than I get from one of the local upfitters that built two fo my truck for a total about about $100,000.00 totaly in assets.

If you are not getting good support you need to report the local dealer directly to Costal and I would bet they would get you what you need.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it, as long as I am running P/U with dump inserts DOWNEASTER will be the ONLY insert I ever use.

Best, Ron G.