1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Hoist

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Diesel_brad, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Hey guys. Not sure anyone here has any experience in this or not.

I am making my own dump truck. 1995 Ford F-Superduty(F450) power stoke Stick 4wd. 161" WB.

Right now it currently has a 12 movers body on it. That will be coming off and a Reading "rev pack"( tool box that goes between cab and bed)

I will be making my own flat bed and It will dump. I plan on PTO driven since I don't have a whole lot of faith in the electric/hydraulic units.

NOW, here is my question. Without spending an arm and a leg. I need to find a Dump Hoist. I have been looking on CL and Ebay but no luck.

Also I want to keep the body as low as possible. I do NOT want a sub frame.

Another catch. It needs to be mounted far enough forward to mount a gooseneck ball 2" in front of the rear axle center point

Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific brand or model hoist and where to get one?

I have been looking at a Scott/tafco but have yet to find a local supplier

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 35 year old scott lite flatbed rack dump body i took off a 79 F350 and put on my 04. it uses 2 external 2 stage pistons.very stable platform. i plan on mounting the pistons the same way they were on the 79, to the outside of the frame, and then to a bar that runs through the i beams of the body.
    not sure on how to accomplish the fifth wheel hitch though.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I was repairing a F-550 today. The sub frame is only 4 1/2 high. I made my own mason dump, but it had a sub frame, two piston lift. How you want to do this with a ball in front of the axle, I don't no what to yell you. Their is a guy who posts here who seems to be a good fabricator. Mabe he will jump in.

4. tjctransport

i really don't see how a dump with a fifth wheel hitch will work unless it is a power up/power down dump setup.
    with a power up/gravity down setup, i can see the body lifting from the weight of the trailer when taking off or if the trailer brakes are stronger than the truck brakes when stopping.

5. Randall Ave

I remember seeing a ball mount in a pickup bed you would crank up if you needed it. Otherwise it sat below the bed level. With a flatbed it could be done, depending on his fabrication skills. I personally would not do it. He also said he wants to do this on a low buget.

6. Diesel_brad

The gooseneck ball would be mounted to the frame. The bed would have a trap door to access it. Also the hoist would be mounted just far enough ahead to clear the ball. just like this truck.
    [​IMG]

7. tjctransport

that would work. my bed basically sits on the frame, it only has one 2X4 as a "bumper" between the frame and the body rails.

8. Diesel_brad

Hind site is 20/20. I should of kept the hoist off that truck and just left it a flat bed before selling it

9. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I happen to have a spare mason bed with lift for pto
    style pump if you are interested. It is in CT

10. Diesel_brad

Sorry, I do not want a dump body and unless the PTO is from a s-42-zf5 diesel trans it does me no good

11. Randall Ave

I think he just has the body and lift piston, but not sure. You have to go to a Chesa dealer and get the correct PTO and pump set up. If he has a pump, you run a PTO drive shaft to the pump, unless its a direct mount pump. I did a clutch last month on the same truck setup you listed. It had a direct mount pump on the PTO. The truck is for sale also.

12. Diesel_brad

Like I said... Unless it came off a s-42 ZF diesel it will not work

13. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

The truck was a 96 5speed with 7.3 diesel not sure which trans, but no I don't have the pump.

14. Diesel_brad

Yeah. That is a s-47 trans. different drive gear. But thanks anyway

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't see why you don't want electric. Have 5 and no major issues. Cheaper IMO

16. Diesel_brad

Cheaper, easier yes. Better, or stronger No.

17. dieselss

Really? Seems that they can lift 5 tons.
    Seems there's only wires you need to run, not hydro lines.
    Seems that you can operate them at any engine speed and not have a fear of blowing the pto.
    For your application I don't see why you would want a pto.

18. Diesel_brad

Just look at ANY hoist spec sheet. They all are reduced by appox 10% using an electric hoist.

Just for example. The Scott/Tafco 400DH hoist I am looking at goes from 6.6ton to about 6 ton. A 1500b loss!!!! So YES, the electric pumps are NOT as strong.

Again. SIMPLE AND EASY is NOT better. Have you ever wondered why Real dump trucks do NOT use electric/hydraulic setups? because they SUCK in comparison to live PTO

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  19. dieselss

I completely know this.
    Do you know why smaller dumps uses electric......EASIER!
    And how much are the smaller 1 tons ALLOWED to carry? They don't need the hydro power when the electric is just fine.

And you've been looking since the 19th. You could have bought, fabbed, and installed already. 1500lbs loss,,,,you'll never miss it.

20. Diesel_brad

I currently have a 6x10 dump trailer. 24" high sides. the Electric/hydraulic hoist will NOT pick the body up when full. WTF good is it if it will not pick it up when full? I have to leave the 1st 2' empty or it will not pick it up. So that means I am loosing 25% of what i COULD be hauling. It does not take long to LOOSE money. For every 4th load I am loosing one. SO how much money am I saving by having an electric pump again?

My truck can legally carry almost 8 ton. But It will carry MUCH more than that. What good is it if it would not be able to dump it. No point in having a DUMP truck I have to SHOVEL off.

Thanks for adding NOTHING to this post other than you wanting me to take the CHEAP way out when that was not even the question

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015