1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Hoist Leaking

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by chips2002, Jun 12, 2005.

1. chips2002

chips2002 Junior Member
    from ca

I recently bought a dump truck with a telescoping hoist. It was running fine until one day the hoist started to leak hydraulic oil. I am not sure where the leak is coming from but it seems like one of the seals is bad on the packing nut.

I want to try and repair this myself. What would be the best way to change the seal? Do I have to disconnect the hoist from the dump body and lower the hoist while the body is in the raised position? I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, where could I get these parts?
  2. DavidD

DavidD Junior Member
    from sc

Before you attempt to remove the cylinder attempt to tighten up the gland/packing nut.Ive had to Snug mine up on occasion. Also make sure the Cylinder doesn't have any burrs on it anywhere that is tearning the packing.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would send it out to a shop set to handle telescoping cylinders.