1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dump conversion

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hydro_37, Jan 22, 2010.

1. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I bought a 1986 C 70 that has an 11' flatbed on it. It is set up to be made into a dump. The bed sits in frame brackets on the front and is on pins (to dump) on the back. Anyone have detailed instruction with pics of where to mount the cylinder and the brackets? It has a belt driven pump to mount or it has the PTO driven hydraulic pump and all the rest of the pieces to make it dump but I need to know what I am getting into.Truck was priced to good to pass up.
    Thanks

2. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

hopefully someone here will have one similar to go by, but if not, what i usually do when i want to see how something is supposed to fit up is to find one locally. you probably drive by one every day at a lumber yard or some sort of supply store. stop & ask if they mind you taking a quick look, or, do a covert weekend mission (provided you don't have to scale a fence to get access. the guys in the blue suits probably won't understand the way we do). i used to go to equipment yards with a tape measure, pad of paper, and pencil. now, since virtually every cell phone has a camera, it's a lot easier. maybe a few fast measurements jotted down & some pictures & you're in business.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hoist

i assume buy your description that there is a rear pivot connecting the flat bed and truck frame .it need structural steel cross members to be hoisted ,a lot to take into account to mount a hoist depending what brand of flat bed it is .the mounted height ,tonnage you want to lift,how much over hang you have on the back of the flatbed over the truck frame ,cab to Axel measurement .i would try to find a truck equipment installer near you and show him what you have and then he can tell you what you can do .and i guess you will have to buy the host ? and how much you want to spend .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. hydro_37

from iowa

I have the hoist and all the needed pieces. I am going to take some measurements and see how things line up.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. wild bill

hoist

do you know what brand of hoist and platform it is ? if so you may be able to get the measurements from the manufacturer to be able to place it to get the desired dump angle to get as much hoist capacity as you can .

6. hydro_37

from iowa

I have been too busy sanding and scraping ice to have time to look at the bed or hydraulics but will try to post that info soon.

7. wild bill

hoist

yeah i got rid of most of mine .just a thought but are there any hole's in the frame and body that match up with the hoist like it was mounted before ?

8. hydro_37

from iowa

Haven't been under it yet Bill....the freaking blizzard has us buried tonight and tomorrow.

9. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

hydro, i have done tons of dump bed installs, if you want i can help you get it setup.

i usually figure out the stroke of the ram to help determin how high it will lift the bed up without getting into a bind causing it not want to come back down easily.

my latest is a 93 f350 i changed it from a flatbed to a flatbed dump myself.

10. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks Wahl...I have all the pieces lined up and just need to find time to get it in the shop and close enough to a welder. If you are up in the Clear Lake area get ahold of me and you can look it over. Thanks again.

11. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

A while back I did one. Had the bed lifted up to the angle I wanted, then installed a used hoist. The hoist had some wear (play) in it. It worked fine, but when it started to lift, it had to take out the play before actuallly lifting the bed and I lost a little lifting height. Hope this makes sense.

12. hydro_37

from iowa

It makes sense and thanks mv.