1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Body Rebuild

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Sep 4, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ah

The Dump body on my 92 L 8000 has reached it's end. Thats what happends when ya buy a cheap body.

The body needs some new steel in several spots, so its off to the cut and weld area before winter sets in. The sander's spinner is currently being held on by a very rusted thing of steel and hydro lines. The side braces are junk, the floor needs some new plate, and some of the frame members need replacement.

So the truck is being cut and new members are being welded in place. The next few weeks should be interesting. The truck will also end up being rewired from the cab back, for most of the lights are junk.

Geoff

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Is it worth it Geoff, aside from being a Ford, how much is a new body for that truck?
    Might that be cheaper than your welder running wire on that body for a few weeks.
    Dino

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with Dino on this one. May be cheaper to buy a new or quality used blody. If you buy used you could sandblast it and shoot it and have a new looking body in less and less wire and gas. Something to think about now before the snow starts to fly up there. That might not be that far away in your case.

4. GeoffD

Well the trouble is it is a a double acting dump body.

Which means a new one isn't cheap, and finding a used one in better condition will not be easy. The truck has 120K on it which is nothing for a truck like that. So I figured out that including my mechanics salery, It will cost me no more than 3K, to fix the current body. It isn't really as bad as it sounds, I could fix it cheaper then that, and just fix the sander area, and the two side braces, and patch a few parts of the floor. However I figured fix it right, and keep the truck another 5 or 6 years.

Geoff

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Geoff Since your going to repair it I was woundering if you would do a pictorial of the whole repair process.It might be interesting to every one.It's just a thought plus some of they guys in here that have never saw that type of dump body will know what your taking about.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're doing the repair work "in house" and will end up getting another 5 years or so out of the truck, I feel it's worthwhile.

It's when you start paying mobile or shop rate for someone else to do the welding/repairs that costs can start getting out of hand. And a job like that is extremely difficult to quote - any time I've worked on projects of that nature it's always been "time/material".

Sandblasting a used body that looks pretty good can lead to some b-i-g surprises :eek: , for example a customer we do a fair amount of work for was going to transfer the service body off their old truck to a new cab/chassis. After sandblasting, they ended up getting a new body to go with the new truck!

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing pics of the rebuild process too.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Sorry Geoff didnt know it was the 2x body. thought it was just a regular dump body. Yes I would think that 3k should get that done, and the repairs will probably outlast a new body.
    The 2x bodies are no where near as stout as single acting ones of quality.
    Dino

8. GeoffD

Well work began about a week ago. That was when my mechanic/welder went to work.

He has rebuilt the side braces, and fixed the doors on the tailgate of the body. Today he has cut out the bed support beams of the body, and has removed all the plate from the floor.

The floor and support braces will be the hardest part of the job, after that it is just the feed gate for the sander. The gearbox for the feed chain is the part that is held on by duck tape. After the chain and gear box mounts are rebuilt, the body will be ready for paint.

My mechanic is spending most of his time on this project. However my other mechanic is working on getting plows on line for the winter. So sometimes he must take a break from the truck body, However we expect to have all the steel replaced in 2 weeks. The painting will be done in house, and the new lights should be installed a few days after painting.

Geoff