1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dump bed wont come down

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by traviswalker007, Nov 4, 2006.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

hey guys, another problem here. I raised my dump bed on my 3500 silverado, 2003 while I channged my batterys. when i got done I tried to lower the bed, and it wont move. I pushed the button for the up position and it works, but as soon as I hit the down button it just cliks one time and nothing moves. do i need to purge the hyd line to get it back down???

2. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Weird? Seems like it has something to do with your working on the batteries. Are the batteries under the hood of the truck?

3. traviswalker007

yes, under the hood. I had the bed up to rust proof it after i installed the batterys, now it wont come down....tried rocking it back and fourth...has power to raise it...does it need power to lower it...is there a maunel button to lower it..

4. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

I,d check the solenoid on the pump motor.What kind/make body is it?

5. traviswalker007

monroe 3yd bed, power up. Dont think its a power down cuz when it did work it was silent when u hit the down button. dont know whats going on. i got power up??? im going thru all the grounds in the morning to see if i can troubleshoot it...just seems wierd like maybe i missed a wire or something. I noticed a **** load of relays under the grill that were pretty salted up....is there relays for the dump bed? i traced the remote power to the pump under the bed and did not find any issues???

6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

have you taken down the safety prop yet?

7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

somethings making the solenoid not open so the oil can bypass back into the tank. When you was painting it did you lean on a pump wire and unplug it by chance? Just guessing what you could have done.

8. traviswalker007

found it

Hey guy;s, found the problem. seems it's been awile since i raised it all the way up and the rust inside the bushings kept it from coming down. Had a buddy come by with a hyd jack. we jaked up the back of the bed and beat on the cylinder suports to free it up. regrease all fitings and worked it up and down for an hour or so and all is fine now...thanks to all for the help.

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I hate rust and equipment sitting for long peroids of time the simple probs just get worse when you have time to think of all the things that might be. So if it worked before you got to look at the simple prob. I was thinking you pluged up the exhaust valve with undercoating but nothin a little force wont fix .....:dizzy: