1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Bed warning light question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Dec 28, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    i have a dump bed warning light that doesn't work when the bed is up...i don't see any sort of switch or sensor on the bottom of the bed...can someone explain how they normally work?
    TIA
    Steve

2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Mine works all the time. Up or down.

3. Rod (NH)

Rod (NH) Member

My 1 ton dump has a switch attached to a bracket welded to the truck frame. It is located on the drivers side just in back of the cab. When the dump body is completely down, that switch is activated by an adjustment bolt attached to the dump body and turns off the light.

4. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Maybe I misunderstood. Warning light like as in one in the cab to tell you the light is up? Or warning light as in a amber light on the bed?

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If it's not some goofy switch, I would say that when you raise the bed your wiring gets moved around a bit and I wonder if it's a bad spot in the wire at the hinge point in the bed.

Kinda like a set of headphones where the wire at the jack wears out and you loose sound to the ear pieces.

6. xtreem3d

i should have explained better...it's a red light on my dash (used to be an IL DOT truck) it warns when the bed is at a specific angle (don't remember)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

This is what I have on my DR688 Mack.

8. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

it should have a switch something similar to this located toward the front of the dump frame if not this it should have a round knob looking thing in the same area

B95_med.jpg

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

This is the switch. It is usually mounted horizontally. The actuator (pointing up in this photo) is a spring (similar to a door stop), and it is pushed down by a piece of metal that extrudes down from the bottom of the dump bed. It can esily tested with a continuity tester. If you have power on both terminals than you probably need a new bulb.

10. xtreem3d

i'll look for it..it's a new truck to me and i haven't had much time to fool with it so far
    thanks!!
    steve

11. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

what he said I was in a hurry and didnet realy explain what that was but thank u sir

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

don't know about your state, but in NY DOT cops will write you if it does not work (to many people hitting bridges)

13. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I assume it's the same in all 50 states. I know it's the same in CA, & CO.

14. xtreem3d

thanks.... i didn't know that but will hopefully get to look at it soon
    steve