1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Bed Rhino Lining

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crossboneracing, Jan 28, 2010.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Anybody ever Rhino line the inside of a dump bed? Just curious as to if the material sticks when you go to dump? I am looking at a dump now but the inside is rhino lined. Wasnt sure if it would be an issue when dumping mulch or loam?
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I would agree with you on your concern, can't speak from experience, but even without the lining topsoil tend to stick a little, i imagine it would be much worse with it
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Dont use rhino. It will peel off in less then a year. Believe me my friend had it in his truck and he babied the thing. If you do get it done. Have it Line Xd. The best and toughest spray in liner you can buy.
  4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ive worked out of a dump bed shoveling mulch, i havent seen one dump a load, but the shoveling out of it was easy enough. and then it depends on the texture of the liner too, some are more abrasive and some are more like a smooth rubberized coating which is what i was working with.
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have had Rhino in my truck for 4 years, no problems, really happy with it... I would Rhino or Line-x the sides of a dump including the outside. But probably not the floor.
  6. snowflakejake

snowflakejake Junior Member

i have some liner in my dump box, its about 1/4" thick, i haul asphalt with it in the summer, works great. i thought it would melt but surprisingly it holds up well.
  7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

OK ..... here it is with my experiences; I have rhino in both my F450 land care truck and my F550 construction truck which both are used for snow removal. I have my pickups done as well.

The F450, is holding up great. The truck gets grass, leaves, sticks, etc in it everyday from April to November. Rain or shine it always slides out and is keeping my dump body in awesome shape. A Vbox is put in the truck for the entire winter and that is the main reason I did the rhino to help with the salt that sits under the Vbox and what not if I cant get to washing the bed out right away. No chips, cracks, or anything. Love it.

The F550. is holding up ok. The truck does and I mean DOES get beat on during the summer. Flagstone, boulders, broken concrete, etc its a construction truck .... so yes it is chipped or dented a little but is not peeling or flaking off. The only material that is a pain is topsoil, if it gets wet or is wet to begin with. Mulch (wet or dry) or any other material is perfectly fine. During the winter this truck goes out with about 5 tons of bulk in it (wet or dry with NO tarp) and I have noticed that the rhino actually keeps the salt from freezing to the bed. My 06' F450 truck is bare metal and the salt freezes like crazy to the bed. The bed gets slick due to the cold temps and salt slides right down the body no problem. So yes it is ok for the summer but a huge plus for the winter.

I have attached a few pics, The first and second ones are of the F550, the third is the F450 (notice I had all the potential rust points sprayed as well). Then a few pictures of the interior of the trucks. These were taken last season.

8. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

the biggest thing is the prep work done by the chosen company, also if you do linex or tko it is hot sprayed so you can get it fixed if you do chip it or dig it off. ik from personal experience that the rhino seems to absorb salt and bleach out really bad, where the line x seem to be more impervious. the guy that has the rhino that plows with us now sprays his bed down with armor all before he loads and then strips. i wash my line x with a little simple green and that has gotten gas oil and salt out of it with no scrubbing, oh and line x's texture calms down after a year of use or so. I'm a little partial as you can see but thats cause i watchied my dads rhino peel off in 4 " square chunks, and then got to the shop and they told him they couldnt repair it it was from abuse, well i dont know how you abuse the top rails without crushing them. :) Oh and it looked gray and ashy after 5 years
  9. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

plus dont forget you have to prime most aluminum other wise oils will seep outta the metal and peel it off
  10. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

The best thing I have ever used is slick plate (something like that ) from Tractor Supply.

Its a graphite based paint that stays slick and holds up well, I have it in all my dump trucks.

I have never used it for snow but it keeps topsoil from sticking in our big trucks.
  11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If you're concerned about sticking, just drop a piece of UHMW liner on the floor and bolt it in in a few spots. Just be forewarned--be very careful walking on it when wet. No joke. FWIW, nobody is allowed to walk around in our trailers--especially mine (see sig) unless it has been washed out and 100% dry.

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

You stole my thoughts!!!!!!!!! :realmad: ;)

If the truck has the spray in existing, the UHMW is a great liner for normal 1" aggregate & finer. Rip-rap, broken concrete, etc.. is hard on it, but it's hard on pretty much everything.
  13. Westhardt Corp.

True that. We generally don't haul anything past 4" minus with the aluminum boxes--they're mainly for material hauls. The rough stuff goes in the steel boxes, and they run no liners, The liners don't last with the sharp edges of the broken concrete.

Sorry for the theft!

14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I was actually planning on rhino-lining the inside of the truck this spring on our older dump. i wondered if the abrasive would stick for grass and mulch and all that because that's really the only stuff available to do yourself around here. now i'm def. doing it!
  15. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

It works pretty good you can put it on pretty evenly and not make it so rough nothing will stick to it. Doing the inside of the cab is nice but for plowing it stays pretty cold but nice because you dont have to worry about it.
  16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

not to hijack this thread or anything but I really love that idea of the protector on the dump bed-protects from salt flying back and acts as a backup bumper! great idea!
  17. Westhardt Corp.

18. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Hey I know this thread is old but I think it would really benefit the original post to update this with pictures of those trucks and wether the liner has held up.
    I would sure like to know how those bed look 3 years later.
    p.s. is your exhaust tip still sideways?
  19. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

For what its worth line x came out with a product that gets poured in. First part is red than is top coated with black. Its made for dump truck bodies. Idea being that when you wear thru the black the red will show telling you its time to re coat.
  20. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I cant do pic right now cuz my bed is full of Vbox salt spreader