1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dump bed/light question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brian Young, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We got a Downeaster dump bed for our 06 F250, my question for the guys who have done this is....I am using a daul strobe light with a cig. lighter adapter. We are going to put it on the cab protector and run the wiring to a switch. How do I go from the top of the cab protector to a switch inside the cab. The only way I could think of was to just run a butt load of wire from the light, along the bed and into the cab to a switch. Thats a lot of wire though, and I might loose some voltage along the way. Any thoughts welcome, thanks in advance.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

wire

that's the only way to do it i used to have to do it on dump truck's all the time use good 14 Gage wire!

3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

That's the right way, and use no less than 12 ga, 10 may be better depending on how much of a load it is and make sure you run the ground with it--no cheating by grounding to the body. You'll pay for your sins later if you do. ONly other cheater way I can think of isto go to a electric supply house and buy a slinky style rubber cord that is long enough to do the job with the body raised. You will also want to make sure you use strain relief connectors on both ends of the cord if you cheat like this. Lets see some pics with the finished product when you're done!!

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I use the monster cable speaker double wire, it's like 12 gage wire all copper. Run it into a pass thru from your firewall area. Your not going to have that much voltage drop to really matter. Tie it down really good with wire ties so ice buildup will not drag it down. You should not have a problem. Make sure you use 15 amp switchs to complete the circuit and 15 amp fuse the line. Ground the line inside the cab so you know it's a good one.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007