1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumb question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare3, Jan 29, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 Junior Member

I have a question! I know this is dumb and please don't come down on me for this. How does a plow hydrolic unit run? Do they rin on a battery or what?

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Some pumps are run by a 12V motor on the pump, with solenoids to angle and lift the plow. Others are run off a belt on the motor, similar to a power steering pump.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not a dumb question at all.Hydraulics need pressure,which requires a pump.that pump has to be powered by something to turn it.It could be an electric motor,a belt off the engine in the truck,a pto on the trans,or a remote engine,like on a v-box spreader.If your using an electric motor,then yes,it would have to run off the battery.

Most plows are electric over hydraulic (electric motor turning the pump),and the unit is a complete power pack with all electric controls mounted in a unit on the plow frame,or under the hood.

4. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

it's not a dumb question, all of us has had that question at one time. i one time out of agrivation asked my son(6 or 7 at the time) why he asked me so many questions all the time, his reply shut me up real quick "so i'll know things".

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

the only dumb question is a question that is not asked! remember that!!

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Most plow pumps are gear type which have two intermeshing gears. The oil is introduced on one side of the gears which are spinning. As the oil passes through, it is squeezed out the other side and then directed by valves to do the work. Since the oil cannot be compressed, it will provide a great deal of force to the hydraulic cylinders to move your plow.

7. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I love kids

They cut right through all the bs :):drinkup:

8. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I know at age 15 I wasn't thinking about hydrolics

9. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

yes you were and plowing too.....:eek: