1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumb question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MowandGo, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MowandGo

MowandGo Junior Member

Hi people,

Im new to the site. Last year was my first year plowing. I had 26 residential houses I took care of. I am looking to get into a couple smaller commercial accounts this winter and take on a few more residential. I have made some phone calls to the places I am interested in bidding on and found out what their looking for. My question is.. whats the next step? I have a 2 separate contracts. One was written up for residential last year and one for commercial this year. Do I have to make up a separate bid sheet to hand in to the companys and then do callbacks? or do I just fill in the prices in the contracts and hope they fill in the rest of the blanks, sign it and send it in?

Sorry if this sounds dumb. Thanks in advance.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Have the places you've contacted asked for a formal bid? I guess that would be my next step. Get something in their hands that shows how much you're going to charge plus a copy of your insurance certificate and maybe a few references.

The rest of the pieces should fall into place if they're interested in going with your company.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, send them a nice letter with a price for plowing, shoveling/blowing, and salting (either by pound or per app). If you send them something that looks professional, they will be more interested in it than if you send them a scribbled on note pad or something. I do this for mowing and plowing. I picked up one really good mowing job from it so far. When you land one, it is worth it.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Around here we just go in and get a handshake and no contracts are ever signed.
    Damn nice to be in a small town.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Nothing dumb about that question

Use a professional proposal and service agreement. Yes small town and hand-shakes are nice, until you have a slip&fall issue. That's when the I thought you were gonna's start. Nothing wrong with trusting your clients, it's the attorneys that make it hard. Put it in writing and keep it short as possible, to the point and professional.

Most of all, leave nothing blank but their signature line.

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the size of the company. I would take a walk around with the person in charge next. See if they are interested or if they already have a contract with someone. Ask if they have a bid process or if they just what you to submit a perposal to them by a certian date.

Good Luck

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's the same around hear.

8. MowandGo

MowandGo Junior Member

Awesome. I really appreciate the help! Should i have a separate proposal form other than my contract. On the first page of my contract it list's prices and the trigger blah blah so on n so forth. Could i just submit a copy of the contract if it has all the prices on it? or do i need a separate proposal form?

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would send them a seperate proposal form and put on it something like, "Attached is a contract, please sign it and return it, or call with questions." It depends on how likely they are to go with your service as to what you should put. But that's a start.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not really. Make the Proposal and Contract/Acceptance as one form. Keep it simple. Their signature is acceptance of your proposal.

11. MowandGo

MowandGo Junior Member

Ya my contract is almost 3 pages long. I wouldn't no where to start in making it shorter. Most of the stuff in the contract covers my butt. Would anyone be willing to send me a mach proposal sheet that could point me in the right direction in writing a shorter contract/proposal form.