1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumb question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rondoga, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

I should know this but;;;

Is the plow it self covered by Insurance

What i mean is if it is stolen will my insurance replace it
  2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I think that if your insurance will cover your vehicle with a plow on it than it should be covered by your insurance. I know that some insurances will not cover a snow plow thus leaving you responsible for it yourself. Breck

Just remember the only dumb question is one that is not asked! :waving:
  3. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

Hmm.. Maybe homeowners Insurance will cover it
  4. Rappa

Rappa Member

I had to add it to my policy for additional $$. Not much though. I think it was like 40 dollars a year. I may be wrong though but it wasnt much.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I had to buy insurance with my plow, but not sure exactly what it covers.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on your policy. General Liability probably would not cover it, but might. Homeowner's insurance might, unless it's considered a part of a commercial venture. Your Commercial Vehicle might, depending on how a loss occured (ie: damage or theft, whether it was attached to the vehicle at the time of the "loss").

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that one, mainly because plow theft is not a concern around here. Not such a dumb question, though.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  7. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

when its on the truck it should be covered
    but when its in my driveway

but if i filed a claim between deductible and depreciation
    i would only get around 1000$ if that new plows are what 4-5000
  8. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

I'm gunna call my agent tomm. and check
    Good Question!
  9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'm glad you brought this up, it's gotten me thinking.

When I got my commercial insurance for plowing I made sure that the plow was also covered for any damage in the event of an accident. I never really considered that part about possible theft while it's off the truck. We do have to worry about that around here just a bit more than you do up in Maine Mick, unfortunately. I'm going to make some calls on Monday and find out. If I have to add it to my homeowner's I will, but I do want it covered. If it was stolen I'd be royally porked, out of business. I would not have the money to go out and replace it.

I'll post again when I get some answers from my insurance people and let you all know what the story is.
  10. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

This raised some thoughts being I am paying only $55.00 a year for my plow. I have mine insured under my business policy(only way to insure it for theft or fire). They told me homeowners would not cover it. Theft is not covered under your commercial policy. It only covers damage to it on the vehicle. I spoke to my agent about this last week when I added the SS to the policy. Mabe companies vary as to there coverage but that is how mine works. A business policy is rather inexpensive if you have some expensive tools.(plow, salt spreader, and so on.
  11. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I forgot to mention that for the $55.00 more it it actual replacement cost for a new one. I think it $40.00 for the depreciation coverage. I am just not sure if there is a minimum coverage for the business policy. I have alot of scaffolding,Laminated planks, concrete saws, power screeds, concrete stamps, and stuff like that. Check into it, they might just insure a few items, probably a little more though
  12. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

good info thanks :nod:
  13. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

is plow insured?

I would have to think the plow would be insured just like any other accessory. In the Dodge service manual the snow plow is listed under the "accessory section" of the manual. If the mfg says it is an accessory then it is.

14. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I assumed the same thing. I asked my agent and here is the response I got. Once you have a commercial policy you lose alot of grants the an auto policy covers. For example my 3500 is insured commercial, anything I tow is NOT covered(has to have its own insurance). Now my 2500HD is currently insured auto, it can tow a SS or boat and is covered. I was in an uproar when I found this out. I did call another underwriter and they responded the same.
    I am hoping that they are wrong as I do have many calls to different insurance people because I am going to add my 2500HD to commercial and do trailer 2 quads that are uninsured.
    If I am wrong (which I hope so)someone please tell me what they know. The insurance is getting to be the biggest bill I pay and that is including my mortgage. It just seems you can't win anymore.
  15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

On my policy equipment on the truck is covered too. All policies are different. If it isn't cover you will have to get inland marine policy. You should call your agent.
  16. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

turf reading through my policy it has the plow added on as truck equipment for a charge. I am going to call them to check if they have a trailering package I can add on to my policy. I really don't want to insure the 4 wheelers. They are kept at my parents home in their attached garage. When they are there they are covered under his homeowners.God this insurance will drive you nuts.
  17. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I know for the insurance in NJ light trailers are covered by they truck but heavy ones aren't i have a liability and comp policy on my 7000lbs trailers but none on my 2000lbs trailer I have my chipper listed on my inland marine policies