1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumb question but,

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nstarkey, Jan 8, 2011.

1. nstarkey

nstarkey Junior Member

Do you guys snow blow in the middle of the night if need be. First year plowing. I also snow blow the walks for my customers. Havent had any snow yet. Played around with 1/2 inch several times but thats it. Thought about this in the middle of the night last night. Is it common or do the neighbors *****? Thanks for all your help. Have learned alot so far.
    Sincerely,
    Pretty plow in the garage.

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely! Always do your best to keep up with the storm. I like to hit lots every 2-3" as necessary.

3. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

absolutely this is why i am glad i got out of residential

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

We keep getting 1 inch dumps. Not really enough to clean up. Yesterday I woke up and there was a dusting of an inch. It melted and was gone yesterday evening. Woke up today to the same thing. An inch.

Yes you want to clear the snow whenever it needs to be cleared. Most of my customers (residential) don't want me there in the middle of the night. They'd rather me wait until it's safer to be on the road.

5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

It's safer to be on the roads in the middle of the night.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree! The *******es go in for the night at about 11 pm

7. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

we start residentials usually around 4 or 430 am. We have a deadline to meet for our customers to insure that that are cleared out by morning. IF its a large storm usually 6+ inches then we start earlier. And we explain this to our customers. We politely tell them, we have multiple customers, and we may be here in the middle of the night to clear the drives and the walks, we will do our best not to be, but we cant predict the weather and they all usually understand.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

In my area you ARE allowed to run any type of snow removal equipment from Nov 1st thru April 30, 24 hours a day. I know this since I had a neighbor call the cops on me at 3am for running a snow blower. They showed up and told the guy I was not breaking any type of law or noise ordinance. All my customers know that if they hear something in the middle of the night it is us cleaning there driveway. But when I talk to them they say they never here us. Just like everyone said you can predict when the snow is going to fall and you have a job to do. Good luck this year..

9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i dont do anything really early or really late my trucks wayy to loud for that im sure people would complain

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

the other night we went out around 11 an plowed until 11 the next morning...no complaints from any of the customers cause they would rather have their driveway cleared out when they wake up and need to go out anyways

11. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Middle of nigt is the best time since no one but other contractors on the road, so you get more done with out people in your way. I start at around 130am or so if there is snow my customers dont mind cuz they know I work a day job as well so my route takes about 3-5 hrs before work. yeah im always tired lol

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

plow whenever you need to

13. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I need to start my residentials at 4 in order to have them done by 9am.

This last snowstorm I got a complaint because we were there at 530. This from a lady who last year questioned my ability to have her driveway cleared by the time her husband left for work, 7am. Told her fine, ill turn my route around, but am less able to gauge what time ill be there, as most jobs will be before hers.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wow...you do your route according to who bitches?
    I would tell her you will have the drive done and do it to fit YOUR schedule....if she complains again...tell her to buy a shovel

15. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

This lady spends huge money, year round. Ill be a bit flexible, especially when she understands I'm taking her from the beginning, and putting her towards the end. And it doesn't really matter to me, ill just run the route backwards. Only reason I did it the way I did, was in insure hers was done early. Also, it wasn't what I would call a storm. We were doing cleanup, hers didn't really need it, but her being seasonal, and me always doing a perfect job, we did it anyways.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  16. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I work in a townhouse devlopment.56 houses out of 110 I do.No complaints from anybody at any time of night.How is everybody going to get out to work on time if I do not work through the night ????