1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question? Boss RT-II

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by k9bm, Aug 26, 2015.

1. k9bm

k9bm Junior Member
    from Montana

Total newcomer to hydraulics, so forgive the dumb question. I bought an old plow truck with a Boss RT-II V-plow. The plow is weak and getting weaker, finally it refused to lift the blade more than a couple of inches,

So I pulled the pump/valve assembly and put it on the bench, then attached a gauge to the pressure line directly out of the pump. I get 1500 PSI when I run the pump, which I understand should be about 2500 PSI. So I ordered a seal kit for the Barnes pump from Central, and it says the kit includes "ALL the o-rings needed as well as the pump shaft seal and the two brass screen filters."

The question is, will this fix the problem, or is it possible the pump is just "worn out?"

The other question concerns the valve assembly, and this is probably the dumb question. Why are there TWO solenoid valves for each circuit? I would have thought you just need one valve since there's only a single hose going to each of the 3 cylinders (only a single lift cylinder on this plow). You open a valve with the pump running to extend a cylinder, you open the same valve with the pump not running to retract the cylinder--or so it seems to me.

What does the other valve do in each circuit?

Thanks for the help....

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Usually it's the pump gears and housing that go bad, seals GENERALLY won't fix your issues. Also the shafts will wear inside the pump body casing fluid to bypass instead of flowing into the proper port.

3. k9bm

k9bm Junior Member
    from Montana

Great. Guess I should have posted before spending the $50 for the seal kit. Well I already bought it and UPS has it somewhere, so I guess I'll go ahead and try to install it....

4. dieselss

The seal kit or the pump?
    I'd wait till you get the pump to do the seals, might be taking the assm apart 2 times when not needed.
    Just fyi.....do you have the hydro breakdown to reference?

5. k9bm

k9bm Junior Member
    from Montana

I already have the pump out of the truck, I'm just waiting for the seal kit and then I will install the seal kit and try the pressure test again on the bench. I have no technical info on this system other than a parts diagram....

6. dieselss

You could call boss technical service. From what everyone says on here they are great and extremely helpful.

7. k9bm

k9bm Junior Member
    from Montana

Well I guess I was just hoping someone on Plowsite might have gone through this before, and might know the answer to my question about how the valve assembly works with the 2 solenoids for each circuit....

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

get a new pump.

yes, two valves for each function,
    one is supply (pump runs), the other is a return pump does not run.

This set up makes it cheaper and simpler to fix.

There not manual push pull valves.