1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Dull" Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GesnerLawn, Feb 20, 2003.

1. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Do any of you guys have trouble with the tires on your plow trucks getting "dull"?

What I mean is that my front tires still have decent tread depth remaining, but have lousy traction because the tread is all rounded off, presumably from the tires spinning. They're fine for normal plowing, but I was struggling quite a bit in the 16 inches we just got.

I presume there's not much that can be done about it except buying tires with a harder compound?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

There isnt much that wont struggle in 16" of snow.Put new tires on every fall,thats what we do if we want the best performance.Do you have enough weight for the plow your pushing.I run powertrax or factory lockers,and weight in all my trucks,this helps a lot.My trucks do well in deep snow.I think weight makes the biggest difference.

3. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

John - I've got a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast on an 85 Chevy k-20. I don't think weight is a problem. I've usually got a few hundred pounds of sand and salt in the bed in bags, a bed full of snow and a cross bed tool box with a couple hundered pounds in it.

I had a real hard time steering with the plow full and lots of trouble on hills. Almost crashed into a tree backing down one becasue I couldn't steer.

The tires are defintely dull. Maybe I'll break out my dremmel tool and try to sharpen them. Anyone know the best way to do this?

:D

4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Sharpening your tires

The best way to sharpen your tires is to put a set of chains on them. You get 16" of snow on a road and you wonder why you slide?

Chains, Chains, Chains - use them, at least on the front, and preferably on all 4 wheels.

5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

when its deep, i think chains are the real answer too, when i got stuck it was cuz of snow packed out like a tire chock, oh that and all the tons that got jammed under the plow and undercarraige when i lifted the plow too soon.....anyways, i think a chain would have chewed thru it....i dont have them or limited slip, i got stuk about 10 times last storm, that gets old fast,
    im buying chains with v bars as soon as i can, im not going thru that again!!..but i was thinking of putting them in the back?

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I know this is not always possible,but try to get your accounts before you got a foot of snow on the ground,makes pushing easier.with 16" of snow the weight of a K20 with a couple hundred pounds isnt nearly enough.Nothing short of a good sized loader or a 30K+GVWR truck will plow thru 16"easily.

7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Siped Up

It will help Alot If you get your tires siped, It should cost about $10 or $12 to do it on used tires. Harder tires will not pull good on snow and ice.
    Hyperpack

8. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

16" of snow

Why were you pushing 16" of snow ? The demand on your truck to push that much snow is crazy , you only hurt your truck and thing break easily or you damage thing you do not realize until they break later . The harder you work your truck the more break downs you will have which is money out of your pocket bottom line . Just my 2 cents

9. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Hyperpack - Please excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to get your tires siped?

As far a plowing 16 inches, this was for one-time and sometimes customers after the storm had stopped. I don't drop the plow all the way on the first pass, but no doubt it's rough on the truck. Thought I blew the tranny once with the truck across the entrance to a parking lot and the first shifters due any minute - was relieved to find that the transfer case just slipped into neutral.

I went out 2 to 3 times on all of my regulars and only had big trouble with one of them that I let get a little too deep and has a moderate hill. I had to charge up as far as I could and back drag a little at a time. Only really got stuck (not able to move at all and had to dig out) once pushing off the side of a driveway.

I guess chains Would be the answer, but I didn't see one contractor with them on. We just don't usually get that much snow here to warrant them. Is it O.K. to run chains on pavement after the roads have been cleared? Also, don't the v-bar ones gouge the pavement.

Thanks for the replies.

Darryl

10. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Groovy Tires

http:http://www.humvee.net/hid/tire/sipe.html
    //www.americastire.com/dtc/brochure/tire/tireSiping.jsp
    I have used Siped tires for many years, The added traction is incredible, The first set I had were not even snow tires and they pulled great. Call around the local tire dealers and see who does it, Also you could get a Hot Knife and do it yourself as well as some other grooving to improve the tread. I have a Hot Knife and often open up a tire that is too smooth.
    Hyperpack

11. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Got New Tires

I yanked the dull Futura tires off the front today. They're destined to become part of kids play set. With a little shopping I was able to find a pair of Wild Spirit DTX's to match the rears. They're really aggressive tires but wear a bit fast.