1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dull hum turning right

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bison1973, Nov 5, 2003.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

When I turn right at a low speed I can hear a dull humming sound from up front. It goes away as soon as the steering wheel is staight again. the truck is a 1991 GMC 1/2 ton 4wd. I've noticed it for awhile but it hasn't yet given me any problems. Any ideas?

2. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

My guess would be the wheel bearing on the left side.....when you turn right, the left wheel had more wieght on it, which is probably what it is. my wifes 98 cavalier, had the exact same symptoms you describe, and the wheel bearings on that side were bad...replaced both sides at once, though.....I was lucky the spindle didn't get ruined........

or, you may have a bad tire :eek:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Is there any funny tire wear,like cupping ? Could be a tire.Other possible causes could be a bad wheel bearing,worn out brakes,or rusty rotors.

Jack up the truck and shake the wheel to feel for any play in the bearing,and make sure it's not rough when you rotate the wheel.

Inspect the brakes while your in there,and make sure nothing is rubbing.
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My Chevy did make a similar noise but it was constant(turning or not)Check for play in the wheel,if it is the bearing it is sold as a bolt on assembly,I think i paid $175 at Advanced Auto?DO NOT let a mechanic tell you it's a complicated job(been there,done that:realmad: )Pull the wheel off,take the brake caliper off,3 bolts hold the bearing assembly on,unplug the ABS sensor and it's off.
  5. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Guys, thanks for the responses. I jacked the front end up to check for play and found none. Also, the wheel rotated easily. I thought it would br the beaarings too but aparently it is not. Any other possibilities.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

only happen at low speed and when turning right? Power steering?
  7. mrzulu

mrzulu Junior Member
    from florida

check for power steering leaks... also check trans-axle for leaks... trans-axle might have undo strain or axle bearing wear... just a thought considering no wheel bearing play...
    i could be wrong... just a thought... it is a 91 afterall...