1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duhhh!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the most stupid thing you have done plowing snow ?? That you will admit too .

After plowing in my truck for about 35 hours ,that nite , i backed up into a light pole concrete base . it was a big open lot at a shopping center with only a couple of these lights, i found it. I was going at a good rate of speed to get done faster and destroyed the back of my truck and the snowblower in the back.
    and the light pole was still standing.. grrrr

What have you guys done ?

96 Dodge 2500 v10
    8.2 BOSS V :jester:

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

First snow of the season. to early to confirm all my contracts. after long hours in loader I stoped in one of my lots to take a nap. woke up 2 hours later to find someone else had plowed all around me. Seems the owner had changed contractors and hadn't told me.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Backed into and broke a glass door at my fathers office, and knocked a basket ball hoop over. The hoop was a heavy but it was not cemented into the ground it was one of those moveable ones on wheels that you fill with sand. Dented my tailgate when a chain that was hooked to a car that i was pulling out snapped back and hit it. Thats it fortunately. Nothing too major.

4. Holy S**T, I'm still laughing!!!!!! :D :D

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

DWAN thats funny, one time i fell asleep in the truck the guy in the bobcat thought it would be funny to lift the gack of truck and move it across the lot..

96 dodge ram V10
    8.2 BOSS V

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Glad I could put a smile on someones face.
    I have sence found out who it was and have when they were out plowing sanded there home drive way 1/2 dozen times.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Trying to pick one....

I think it's got to be what happened the first year I plowed. Driving down the road, going to the restaurant for dinner. See a guy in a 2wd pickup hung up on a windrow at end of his private road where it comes onto the State road. I stop and pull him over the windrow; he's gotten that far (about 1/3 mile) in a 14" snowfall, but got hung up at the end from the State's plow. Asked me if I'd plow his road since his plow had broken down. I'd never been up there before and it was over a rickety bridge and some twists and hills. He rode with me to tell me where to turn, etc. Snow was wet and heavy. Got to rolling pretty high and I was pushing it to the floor to keep it going uphill. He commented that he couldn't believe how well that Dodge pushed snow. Got to the end of that one and then plowed a little (100') connecting driveway. Get done and he pulls out his checkbook. I expected him to ask "How much?" but he just starts writing. Tears out the check and hands it to me. I forget what I said, but he said (That's all I pay - $40).

I've never done any plowing since without having the price set up front. He called me the next winter and wanted me to come out again when it was a big storm. I told him it'd be $100. I drove by a few minutes later and he'd found someone else.

Runner up - Trying to clear a lot "a little further" and drove the front end over a 25' dropoff. Plow got buried in the snow I'd pushed over. Had to call the tow truck to pull it back out.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'd have to say pushing snow across the street out of a lot knowing that it was illegal and wouldn't ya know it, there was a city driver parked right down the street. :rolleyes: He came down in his city plow truck and gave me a royal a-- chewing. :nod:

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

OOPS , but you know what they say. its only illegal if ya get caught .

10. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

got a good one for you I was plowing in my friends ford and was clearing alot was backing up to fast, slammed on the brakes to avoid those pesky light post ( always seem to just pop up out of no where) and hit my head on his rear window, he forgot to tell me he just replaced it so when my head hit it it popped out of the back of the truck and shattered into a thousand pieces in the bed. Needless to say it got very cold in that truck for the rest of the storm :eek: :eek: :cry:

11. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

I was plowing for the city,they went and switched to front end loaders,bucket was removed and a 11foot blade installed,,,we were paid per run only $100 took about 4 hrs or longer depending on inches and how fast you moved,,a person (drug dealer) walked out if front of loader i was doing about 30mph,,the night b4 it rained,,,anyway pure ice under snow,,i slammed on brakes ,,right side of plow slammed into a parked caddy,,,holy crap,,this isnt a neiborhood to get out and look for damage,,unless u wanna get robbed and possibly shot,,or find the owner of the caddy and tell him u just hit his unlicensed and unregisted car,i felt bad for about 30 seconds..but had to keep moving.

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

LMAO!!! :cry:

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

back when I was 18 or 19 I was plowing for my dad as he was on shift work at the time. He told me to knock out the rest of the accounts he didn't get to, well he'd written down some instructions as to what to watch out for etc. I get to this one place and was supposed to clear an area around the garage...didn't look like it had been cleared before but I wasn't sure as it was had drifted pretty bad and looked like there was a pile from before. Anyway I hit it pretty good and pushed it to the desired area but heard a thud and thought "uh oh" backed up and looked into the pile and there was a "beat up" looking doghouse rolled up in my pile...oops. :yow!:
    Found out that the garage area was supposed to be cleared on the other side and wrapped around the back to this area where the snowpile was. Good thing Fido wasn't in the doghouse!

Back in 91' I was plowing for my stepbrother and he came over the radio to give me the address for his buddy's house, I was supposed to go over there and push all the snow up against his garage door as a joke. Shot back to him on the radio that that mission was accomplished and he laughs and says "I got him good this time". About 45 minutes later he's back on the radio asking me what color his buddy's house was, I told him I wasn't sure but the garage doors were green, "ah @#$%" he says. He'd given me the wrong address...turned out to be his buddy's neighbor and he was on his way over there to undo the prank and now he'll probably have to clear this driveway for free the rest of the season.

Buck

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Good ones guys , anyone else have any stories. I will add one more

when i worked for a landscaper ,after a big snow , we were hauling it out of a large lot and dumping it in a field. i was driving a ford L8000 with an 11 foot plow. to help out the machine i was pushing snow off of the curbed and grass median strips about 4ft wide. i hit the pile a little to fast and with no weight in the back i could not stop in time. i drove the front axle over the curb and onto the grass that was not so frozen.
    i had to use the bobcat to get the snow out from around the plow to take it off. then it took a 1ton 4x4 dump and a backhoe to get the truck unstuck. one to pull and one to lift and push. was not a fun night, but at least the boss didnt find out.....

96 Dodge 2500 V 10
    8.2 BOSS V